Help in Choosing the Right College

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: September 2003 Archive: Help in Choosing the Right College
By Jan87 (Jan87) on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 09:03 am: Edit

Hi, I've been having some trouble deciding which colleges are the best for my interests. I'd appreciate any help! Here is some information about me.

I am a high school junior right now; I took the SAT and got a 1600. I haven't taken any AP Tests or SAT IIs yet, but I'm currently taking AP Courses (Physics, US History, Calculus AB, Chemistry).

I think I know the general area I want to major in- biology, chemistry, biochemistry, engineering(?). I have heard that scientific research is "boring"...Is that true? What opportunities are there for someone planning to get a bachelor's degree? Languages interest me as well, I was thinking of maybe doing something in Spanish. I am planning to go to college for four years for a bachelor's degree, no more (but I've heard of five-year masters programs; how do those work?).

Oh, and I live in New Jersey; I'd prefer not to move too far away from home. I'd also like to go to a college with a good concert band (although that doesn't matter too much), since I'm very interested in clarinet (but not as a career).

As far as schools go, I'd like to go to a friendly school where students are smart, sociable, discuss things we're learning, and not snobs or stuck up. I don't know if the Ivy League schools are like this; my parents want me to go to one.

Well, I know these are a lot of questions. :) If you have any answers, please post some advice. Thanks!

By Haon (Haon) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 09:54 pm: Edit

Check out the New England liberal arts colleges such as Swarthmore, Williams, Wesleyan, Amherst...they are all within several hours of New Jersey.

Princeton is in New Jersey (but unfortunately has the reputation of being fairly snobby).

What kind of school are you looking for?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page