What colleges could i actually get into..

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: September 2003 Archive: What colleges could i actually get into..
By Below_Average (Below_Average) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 10:03 pm: Edit

what colleges do you think are good for me. I don't have a high gpa or sat. I live in Maryland and i want to go to college park but i doubt i'll get in. Do you know of any colleges around the mid Atlantic region I could get into?

here the sats
gpa: 3.3
sat: 1120 (math:600; verbal:520)
class rank: top 50% (of around 400 students)

Activities: Varsity cheerleading, All County Orchestra, first chair in my school orchestra, treasurer of the photography club, secretary of orchestra, Iíve also won a whole bunch of talent competitions doing ventriloquism and I do a lot of community service

Classes: (we just got honors classes this year, before they were called cm)
Junior year:
English 11 CM
Modern American history CM
pre-cal CM
Psychology AP
Spanish I
Spanish II
Physics CM

Senior year:
English 12
Calculus I
Calculus II
Sociology

I'm also half Asian if that helps any. Thanks for your time.

By Xtech (Xtech) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 11:06 pm: Edit

There are a million colleges out there. You haven't given us any idea of what kind of enviroment you're looking for or what you want to major in. With that SAT and GPA you're probably not getting into most top 50 schools but there are lots and lots of other good places out there. If you can raise your SAT it will help a lot.

By Gadad (Gadad) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 12:17 pm: Edit

Below Average - First of all, you're not. The SAT is normed for 1000 to be aveage and for each 100 points on either side to be one standard deviation. So you're more than a standard deviation above average on SAT. And I would bet the average GPA is about 2.5.

Here may be the best best you may have never heard of. Georgia College & State University in Milledgeville, GA is the state's public liberal arts university. They have about 5000 students on a scenic campus in the middle of the state's antebellum capital. It's going through one of the most meteoric rises in quality and reputation in higher ed history. You're just above the average entering SAT there, but may not be by the time your graduate. They have won three national cheerleading championships in the past six years and have outstanding music programs. The school has one of the highest student satisfaction ratings you'll find. And, tuition in Georgia is relatively low, so out-of-state tuition may not be too out of step wuith what you'd pay at College Park.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 12:28 pm: Edit

Look at Goucher College, Western Maryland College, St. Mary's College of Maryland (a public state school) in Maryland.

In Pa., Washington and Jefferson, Juniata, Ursisinus, Albright, Gettysburg

In NY, Hartwick College, Manhattanville

In Ohio, the College of Wooster, Ohio Wesleyan, Denison

In Virginia, Hollins, Mary Washington, Emory and Henry, Mary Baldwin, Randolph Macon College

In D.C., American University, Trinity College

All of these schools would be in your range and are good schools. Good luck.

By Abz1986 (Abz1986) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 05:03 pm: Edit

Hmm I think 100 SD is for each individual score for SAT (math and verbal). That means 200 would be one standard deviation.

By Andrey1225 (Andrey1225) on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 12:40 am: Edit

I think a great reach school for you would be George Washington University. Also all of the SUNY schools are good, a lot of the colleges Carolyn mentioned are small compared to the two I just listed, so depends on what you're looking for in a school and what you want to do.

By Uncchlocalmayor (Uncchlocalmayor) on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 02:20 am: Edit

i thought the SD was 30 points for each individual score.

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 11:31 am: Edit

Carolyn has a nice list of schools for you. I also would add the other Md state schools-Uof MD at Baltimore County, Towson State, Salisbury State and some Virginia state schools which cost about the same as MD--Virginia Tech, James Madison, George Mason. Also College of Charlston, West virginia University and University of Delaware are some options. Good luck!

By Pnjbkudi11 (Pnjbkudi11) on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 05:18 pm: Edit

hi.. i live in virginia.. i need help.. im in 11 th grade.. in 9th and 10th grade i had a GPA of 2.5. and was only in one club. now im working hard in 11th grade.. and im joining a lot of clubs. im taking the SAT's next yr.. i need help before its to late. i want to get into a good college maybe george mason. no matter what it takes.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page