What is the speciality of Columbia University?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: September 2003 Archive: What is the speciality of Columbia University?
By Polly (Polly) on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 09:53 pm: Edit

As in the title, which area does Columbia University specialize in?
I just want to know...

By Janderfox1 (Janderfox1) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 08:20 pm: Edit

Engineering

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 09:11 pm: Edit

Other particularly strong departments: economics, political science, math, history but, like the other Ivy's all departments are very good so it's hard to say they "specialize" in any one thing.

By Polly (Polly) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 09:16 pm: Edit

Thanks all...
How about music major?

By Polly (Polly) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 09:18 pm: Edit

Also, how can I apply for Columbia?
Actually I found this site when I was looking for "What is rolling admission?" So, can one just send application anytime?

By Nop86 (Nop86) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 08:25 am: Edit

What about the biology department?

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 10:46 am: Edit

To find out what is needed to apply, go directly to Columbia's web site and look at the admissions section. Everything you need to know will be there. www.columbia.edu
As far as I know, Columbia does not have rolling admissions but the details of when and how to apply will be on their site just like every school's site.

Rugg's College Recommendations Book says Columbia's music program is strong. It also lists chemistry and biochem as strong departments. The Fiske Guide, however, lists biology as one of Columbia's strongest programs. Cornell is probably better known for biology but that doesn't mean that Columbia's biology program isn't good. Best bet is to visit the bio department or music department web site, look at the information there (including classes offered) and, if in doubt, email the head of the department to ask: "What are the strengths of your department? How many students major in this subject? What chances are there to do research as an undergrad? etc." Columbia is a terrific school overall, you really can't go wrong in any major - but just beware that they have very large core requirements. If that's a turn-off, Columbia may not be right for you. Good luck.

By Polly (Polly) on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 04:23 am: Edit

Thank you so much for your detailed explanation.
It really helped me to know more about Columbia.
When I looked at the ranking on the magazine (maybe US News), the information there said not much people applied to Columbia, compared to other Ivy schools. Why is that?

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 11:25 am: Edit

Don't worry, Columbia gets more than its fair share of applications and is just as competitive to get into as Harvard or Yale. If the total numbers are just behind the other Ivy's, it doesn't mean anything is wrong with Columbia. Some people might not like its very urban location or by its intensive core curriculum (really the most intense requirements in the Ivy's), or not apply there for many other reasons. Columbia really is a school you need to visit in order to decide if it's right for you.

By Polly (Polly) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 03:07 am: Edit

Thank you very much!
But I'm a senior and I don't have much time to travel that far...
By reading your comments, I've decided to apply for Columbia though I have no idea what the result will be.
I really want to study biochem and music, so I think Columbia might be a good school for me if I get in. :D

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 03:33 pm: Edit

Another school you might consider for biochem and music is Oberlin in Ohio - excellent science program and a fantastic music school. Lawrence University in Wisc. has excellent bio/chem and a music conservatory as well. Good luck.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page