Business school. mba

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: September 2003 Archive: Business school. mba
By Thenarrator (Thenarrator) on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 05:07 pm: Edit

what would u need to study at the undergrad level to qualify to apply? I'm planning on majoring in polisci and economics, and then eventually going to law school. But an JD/MBA sounds rather appealing to me. I like both subjects (well, law more) and would love to study both. Could anyone walk me thru the business school admission process?

thanks

By Thenarrator (Thenarrator) on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 01:45 pm: Edit

also, how realistic is getting a JD/MBA?

By Xtech (Xtech) on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 08:46 pm: Edit

I don't know about the JD/MBA but I'm sure it's possible. However, I'm also not that sure how useful it would be. You would think being a lawyer or an MBA would be enough. :)

As far as undergrad requirements, nothing is really needed for JD as long as you get a good education and learn to write/research well and it's the same with an MBA though economics or BA helps. You should be fine going into an MBA with polisci/econ. I'm planning on majoring in International Relations and I know that I have a lot of options including both a JD and MBA afterwards.

By Redgrail (Redgrail) on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 05:28 pm: Edit

JD/MBAs are given out on a regular basis at premier institutions. Many law firms love JD/MBAs, because they're such prolific rainmakers, so it's definately a course you might consider if corporate/business law is your thing. . .

By Techieguy (Techieguy) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 12:05 am: Edit

prolific rainmakers? what does that mean?

By Redgrail (Redgrail) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 03:02 am: Edit

"rainmaker" - One who is known for achieving excellent results in a profession or field, such as business or politics. In law firms, specifically someone who creates brings in a great deal of new business.
Prolific - Producing offspring or fruit in great abundance; fertile.
Producing abundant works or results: a prolific artist.

You know, it wouldn't have taken you too long to look this up at dictionary.com or something. . .

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 09:17 pm: Edit

The JD/MBA programme is quite common in law schools (I'm in the process of applying for a JD now), and many employers love them for the reasons stated by Redgrail... and they apparently make excellent corporate attorneys, knowing both the business and legal side of life. The benefits of both degrees apparently make it worth spending the extra year in school.

Looking really far ahead, there are two books, Law School Confidential and Business School Confidential (both by Robert Miller), which will walk you through the process of applying to both schools, what they are like, what questions to ask, etc. Pick them up now, read them, and save them (LSC is an awesome book - the author wrote it about two years after graduating from Penn Law). Personally, I found LSC to be very helpful and wished I stumbled upon it earlier - it even has an interview with the UPenn dean of admissions, who explains the entire application process, what happens in her office, etc.

Neither law school nor business school has many pre-requisites, save standardized testing (and many schools will accept the LSAT in place of the GMAT when applying dual degree) and a degree. I was told by a Harvard business school professor that my background, engineering and classics, would be excellent for business school - which goes to show you how many different undergrad majors they will accept. My pre-law advisor said the same thing regarding law school. Conventional wisdom says to study what you like for those schools.

Many business schools are moving towards wanting you to have actual work-world experience prior to applying. The average age of a 1L is 27, so I'm assuming that many dual-degree candidates have actually been in the workforce.

The JD/MBA programme is a four-year one, which slightly compresses the time frame - and that might not allow you to write on law review, do clinics (both of which are great for experience and make you very employable), or take electives. You should find people who have gone through the programme before applying.

A final note: calm down, you're a few years away from all of this!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page