Middle size universites or Liberal Arts Schools with a good

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: September 2003 Archive: Middle size universites or Liberal Arts Schools with a good
By Kateco (Kateco) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 11:28 pm: Edit

I need help finding schools! I am interested in either the east coast or west coast for schools and i love creative writing but dont want to be limited to one major. My counselor said to look into liberal arts colleges and i need to know some with good english or creative writig programs! I am in the top 9% of my class with a 3.75 GPA. I dont know what my reach/target/safety school range is with LAC on either coast. Please help! thanks!

By Arcadia (Arcadia) on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 09:06 am: Edit

Kenyon, Grinnell, Middlebury, Bowdoin, Williams, Amherst

By Haon (Haon) on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 01:34 pm: Edit

Arcadia has given an excellent list.
If this helps, I'll re-list her's in decending order of selectiveness (most selective to least selective).

Williams and Amherst
Middlebury and Bowdoin
Grinnel and Kenyon.

Williams and Amherst (and likely Midd and Bowdoin) will be reaches for you. Grinnel and Kenyon are probably within your range depending on your SATs and ECs.

By Perry (Perry) on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 02:10 pm: Edit

Colby and Reed also have very fine english departments. Perhaps Bates also.

By Perry (Perry) on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 02:27 pm: Edit

Swarthmore and Carleton also. You should check the course catalog on each of the college websites listed in these posts and compare them. Look at the offerings and see what interests you the most.

By Cdblizzard862 (Cdblizzard862) on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 03:18 pm: Edit

Sarah Lawrence sounds perfect for you. They have one of the best creative writing programs and there is no set core curriculum and students don't really have structured majors.

By Shennie (Shennie) on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 05:30 pm: Edit

Ithaca College also has a creative writing program and would probably be a safety for you.

By Kateco (Kateco) on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 10:59 pm: Edit

Thanks for all the replies it really helps out a lot! I have some EC's..i have been a part of the class boards all 4 years, have been in Key club (a commitee head)for the past 3 years and have been in the school play for the past two years.Anything on the west coast?

By Kateco (Kateco) on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 11:11 pm: Edit

Sorry,I forgot to add that i received a 28 on the ACT and am looking to go up maybe one more point? If not, thats what i have to work with!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page