Can you help me choose a good college fit? Fun huh?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: September 2003 Archive: Can you help me choose a good college fit? Fun huh?
By Zephyrmaster (Zephyrmaster) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 11:09 pm: Edit

I got (650,680,710,750) SAT II's
I got a 1360 SAT. (Hoping to improve it, one last shot)
Some EC's, Chess Club (4), Sci Oly (4), NHS (2), FBLA (1), Key Club (1)
AP Scores: 2 4's (CalcAB, US. Hist), 2 5's (Euro, Lit).

I'm thinking of a degree in history or computer science. Or something else entirely. Thusly, I'm looking for a school with options.

Thanks.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 11:24 pm: Edit

What's your GPA? Are you looking for a small or large school? What part of the country do you prefer?

By Zephyrmaster (Zephyrmaster) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 11:26 pm: Edit

My GPA is 4.0 unweighted. (My school doesn't weight or anything)

I'm looking for a school with lots of resources and options. So I'd probably be best in a large school, though one school that really interested me was Rice, which is small. I live in Washington, so I'd actually prefer it too be a few states away (California would be far enough). :) Though I am applying to a local state college, as a safety.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 12:03 pm: Edit

Rice has an EXCELLENT history department and isn't really all that small. Another school in Texas with a good history department is Trinity University - very well-off school so has good resources for a smaller school and gives lots of merit aid to attract out of staters. Southern Methodist University in Texas also is reputed to be good for history.

In California, look at the Claremont Colleges - particularly Pomona and Claremont-McKenna. These are five schools located right near each other so even though the individual schools are smaller you get the feel of a bigger campus.

Occidental, also in Calif., has a good history department. Santa Clara University is supposedly good for history and computer science.

In Oregon, Willamette and Reed have good history departments. In Washington (east) Whitman College has an excellent history department.

The Univ of Calif. at LA, Berkeley and Davis have great history and comp sci programs. UCSan Diego is excellent for comp sci and supposedly has a good history department too.

Stanford is excellent for history and comp sci.

I've heard the Univ of Colorado at Boulder has a good history department but I haven't really checked it out.

That's about it for top history programs on the west coast and Texas.

By Zephyrmaster (Zephyrmaster) on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 10:51 pm: Edit

Any other input?

What are the History programs at Columbia, University of Chicago, and Boston University like? Do I have any chance of getting in?

Thanks in advance, and to those who have already replied!

By Anonymoussparty (Anonymoussparty) on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 10:00 am: Edit

I would recommend my own Michigan State of course! It is flexible enough that you probably could get both if you really REALLY wanted to, and if you bump past 1400 you'd be offered Honors College admission with its many tuition waivers etc.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 11:33 am: Edit

You'd probably need to get your SATs up a bit for both UChicago and Columbia - both are good for history. You'd probably be a match for BU. I don't know much about their history program but the school says history is one of their strong programs in Rugg's guide. The best bet is to look at the web sites of several school's history departments - look to see how many professors they have, what types of classes are offered (even though history is fairly standard it's usually obvious what type of history they focus on if you read course descriptions), the number of majors in the department, what types of internships are available (and how many students do internships), what type of research resources are available, etc. Another important thing to find out: are most history classes lectures or are there plenty of small seminars where research and writing are emphasized. If you can't find all of this after looking through the history dept web site thoroughly, email one of the professors in the department or the department chair and ask. This should help you compare departments at different schools.

By Zephyrmaster (Zephyrmaster) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 12:31 am: Edit

Yeah, I'm going to take the SAT again.

Any other input? Thanks to everyone!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page