History major having a hard time

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: September 2003 Archive: History major having a hard time
By Andyd (Andyd) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 12:13 pm: Edit

I am a New York resident, and I am looking for schools in the northeast and western United States that offer history. However, the GPA requirement starts at 2.0. I know there are schools out there other than my state's schools (which I am applying too) that offer this. Anybody know of any schools or a precise guide to search for them???

Thanks

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 04:11 pm: Edit

I have a list of history schools but I'm confused - are you saying your GPA is less than 2.0 and that you're looking for a school that will take you with that GPA?

Assuming your answer is yes, here are some schools with less selective entrance requrements (although less than a 2.0 is going to make some of these reaches) that have decent history departments:
SUNY Brockport
Bellarmine (KY)
Bridegewater College (MA)
Central Connecticut
Misericordia (PA)
St. Joseph's College (NY)
Wilkes College (PA)
CUNY -City College
Canisius NY
Elmira NY
Juniata PA
Hartwick NY
Manhattanville NY
Millersville PA
Northeastern MA
Western Maryland College MD
Wittenberg OH
Hiram OH

By Andyd (Andyd) on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 02:42 pm: Edit

No, it's above a 2.0, but less than a 2.5.
I definetely regret some of my choices during those years, but thanks for the help. Do you know of any out west (Colorado, northern CA, oregon, and around there) by any chance?

By Ckr1147 (Ckr1147) on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 03:05 pm: Edit

Andyd - don't know anything about their history dept but Sierra Nevada college in Lake Tahoe might be worth looking at. I had never heard of them until last night. They have a website and seem to take kids with average GPA/SAT's - also they seem to be able to give a good bit of aid if that's a concern. We are investigating it for our son.
I don't know how you feel about a Catholic college, but Caldwell College in NJ might be a possibility, too. I don't know about their ranking.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 07:57 pm: Edit

In California, Whittier has a history program and you may have a shot with your GPA. Also take a look at these other calif. schools: University of Redlands, University of the Pacific, Loyola Marymount for history. They will still be a reach but are a realistic reach for you. All have very good history departments.

The University of Denver might be another possibility. You might also see how your chances would be at Willamette in Oregon and Seattle University in Washington. I have also heard Carroll College in Montana and Albertson College in Idaho have decent history programs but I don't know much about either school. Other possibilities on the west coast: University of Portland, Pt. Loma Nazerene (San Diego), linfield College (Oregon), Gonzaga (Washington), Pacific Lutheran (Wash)

There are also some good schools in the southeast and midwest that you might want to consider. I'd also suggest you think about going to a community college for two years and then transferring --- you'll have more choices once you get your GPA up.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page