Rose-Hulman IT

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: September 2003 Archive: Rose-Hulman IT
By Evianboy (Evianboy) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 10:35 pm: Edit

Any thoughts on this school? Anybody at/went to this school? How is it compared to engineering schools that have graduate students (since US News doesn't rank masters/doctoral side by side)? My physics teacher told me that it is comparable to RPI. Is this true?

By Marite (Marite) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 10:51 pm: Edit

Yes, definitely. I read a review of it in Imagine, the CTY magazine. The students (all members of SET--people who had scored 700+ on either the math or verbal part of the SAT before 13) raved about it. The downside is its location in Terre Haute, IN. But it's considered one of the very best schools for engineering.

By Baltodad (Baltodad) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 09:30 am: Edit

My son is visiting Rose for an overnight in October. I'll post a report when we get back.

It's supposed to have a pleasant, modern suburban campus and a very close-knit student body. I was talking to the former dean of engineering of a major public university, and asked about Rose. He said it had a very innovative approach to teaching the subject and was highly-regarded by grad schools.

I've heard that Terre Haute is nothing to write home about. But compared to Troy, NY (where RPI is), I'll bet it's a garden spot. RPI's surroundings were so depressing (and depressed) when we visited last month that I don't think my son will even apply, notwithstanding its reputation for excellence.

By 1tcm (1tcm) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 09:44 am: Edit

Terre Haute IS nothing to write home about, but it's also large enough to have some things to do, it has a mall and pretty much all the regular places to shop (unless you must do shops like Rodeo in LA)and it is somewhat of a college town. There are two other colleges in Terre Haute, Indiana State and St. Mary of the Woods. Bloomington and U of I are 45 minutes away, and Indianapolis is roughly an hour. The Hulman Center in Terre Haute does get some pretty large concerts and special attractions (i.e. broadway shows, etc.) but not as frequently as say Deer Creek in Indy but once again, it's a short drive to Indy.

The weather in Terre Haute is typical midwest. Fall weather is usually beautiful, winter's tend to be generally mild, yes it gets cold but not nearly as much snow as say Chicago, and Spring is usually the odd one. A Spring morning can be 40 degrees but by noon it's over 80.

The people of Terre Haute are generally friendly, and ISU/Rose seems to be the center of life. Good Luck!!

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 11:08 am: Edit

According to the Fiske Guide, it's the oldest private engineering school west of the Allegheny mountains and has an excellent reputation with employers. 1600 students - only 17 percent are women. Intense coursework, but that's typical of engineering schools. Especially strong is the chemical engineering degree but all majors are reportedly good. Offers 1,000 merit scholarships a year. Dorms have daily housekeeping service in dorm rooms!
SAT ranges 580-690 V, 650-750 M, in a recent year, 2800 applied, 77 percent were accepted - most in top 10 percent of their class.

By Kissy (Kissy) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 09:43 am: Edit

Baltodad- I'll be interested to hear what your son thinks of RH. My D is applying but won't be able to visit till spring. She had very similar impressions of RPI and Troy. I seem to remember reading on another thread that you had visited Bradley. Is your son going to apply there? My D's counselor has suggested she drop it from her list, saying it's "too easy". I didn't think engineering could be easy anywhere! D thought it would be worth investigating as a safety.

By Baltodad (Baltodad) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 12:29 pm: Edit

Kissy -

No; Bradley isn't on his list. (I'm embarrassed to say I haven't even heard of it!)

Going to a group session for Olin College of Engineering tonight in downtown Baltimore. Tough to get into but FREE TUITION!!

Then on Friday we're doing a daytrip up to Swarthmore for an interview, group session, and tour. (Son has the day off from school.)

Also this fall:
Open house at Stevens (and a Broadway show that night!)
Open house at UMBC
Overnight dorm stay and open house at UMCP

By Marite (Marite) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 01:15 pm: Edit

You might also consider Olin College of Engineering in Needham, MA. It's brand new so does not have a track record and is probably not on most people's radar screen. I think I read that it provides free tuition, and students have a lot of say in how the College is run, including the direction it will be taking.

By Chrisd (Chrisd) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 04:54 pm: Edit

And, Needham does not have the limitations of Terre Haute, or Troy . . . . . Daughter just started at Olin. So far, she's quite pleased.

By Seventoedsloth (Seventoedsloth) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 07:48 pm: Edit

I would think twice about Olin just because it is not acredited. Rose-Hulman is supposed to be very good. I was considering attending but the low school size changed my mind.

By Baltodad (Baltodad) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 10:32 pm: Edit

Just got back from Olin's road-show in Baltimore. The admissions office person said a college can't become accredited until it graduates a class. That's not until 2005.

The intensely hands-on curriculum, starting from day 1, really interested my son. The competition for Olin is pretty brutal, however. I think the acceptance rate is in the 12% range, making it as much or more of a reach than Swarthmore. Rose will be a solid match (bordering on a safety).

By Kissy (Kissy) on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 10:39 am: Edit

D loves Olin and is forsaking ED opportunities elsewhere for it. Has me feeling a little nervous, so that's why I'd like her to find some good safeties where she'd be happy.

Baltodad- I'd be interested to hear what you and your son think of Swarthmore's program since I don't know much about it. Which branch of engineering is he leaning toward?

By Baltodad (Baltodad) on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 11:33 am: Edit

Kissy - He's interested in mechanical engineering... perhaps automotive, though that's usually not until grad school (U of Michigan, which he liked a lot, would be perfect).

Swarthmore only has about 95 engineering students (as I recall) and is generalist in its approach, with fewer required core courses than most engineering schools. Students don't specialize in a particular kind of engineering, so it's very much a pre-grad-school focus. Since there isn't a "school of engineering", they're part of the liberal arts program and tend to take a lot more non-science courses than most engineers.

By Chrisd (Chrisd) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 09:35 pm: Edit

I think we received some Rose-H mail last year about no-fee application--maybe if you apply on line?

Olin is hands-on from week 1. My daughter is thrilled to be milling metal blocks, with Introduction to Machine Shop as part of her "cohort" class this fall.

Daughter found the admissions process at Olin to be much more approachable than other places she applied at. I'd be glad to answer questions you may have!

By Baltodad (Baltodad) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 10:15 pm: Edit

Went up to Swarthmore yesterday. Beautiful campus!

My son sat in on an engineering class and enjoyed the interplay among the prof and students. (A girl student gave a 15-minute presentation on automobile turbochargers -- son was impressed!)

The engineering department is about 150 out of the college's total of 1,500 students.

Seems like a very friendly and fun place to go to school, though they have a reputation for working all their students very hard (something engineers experience at most other places while the liberal arts folks get off easy). As I noted above, Swarthmore is only appropriate for an engineering student who expects to go on to grad school immediately. But the pay-off is a well-rounded education in a very diverse, supportive, and congenial environment.

Son places it 4th on his list so far, after Olin, Case-Western, and Michigan

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page