Boston University Info

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: September 2003 Archive: Boston University Info
By Grace1013 (Grace1013) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 03:57 pm: Edit

Hello,

Can anybody tell me anything about Boston University? I know the statistics, but I have been having a problem finding people who 'know' the school. Do they have good academics? What is their reputation? Is it a party school? Any information would help.

Thanks!

By Theatermom (Theatermom) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 04:38 pm: Edit

While I can't claim to really "know" the school that well, I can share the experience my son had applying there in 2002. BU was his "safety" school and I wasn't expecting all that much when we went to visit but was more than pleasantly surprised with our tour and info session. My son also had an interview with a current student. We came away feeling like this was a school that not only really wanted him, but could offer him a good education. They seemed very interested in the individual student and were willing to work with you to design a course of study that would suit your needs. No doubt, it's a big school, but it never felt like an undergraduate assembly line, churning out kids just for the tuition. Everything about it felt accessible to us. And of course you could do worse than be in Boston - GREAT college town. Given my son's high school record, we were not surprised that he was accepted. What did surprise us was the unsolicited offer to make him a University Scholar, which came with a 50% tuition scholarship for all 4 years, and arrived in a separate letter the day after his acceptance. And we had applied for NO financial aid at all! When my son was accepted at Cornell he chose to go there, but I wrote to BU and thanked them for the offer and for the way we were treated during every step of the admissions process and told them that if a chance ever presented itself, I would share our story with anyone interested in BU. As I am sorry to say, you will find out that most universities, especially the large ones, don't treat you with the respect and cordiality that BU treated us. My son would have been very happy to go there had Cornell not come through. Give BU a chance. My guess is they'll surprise you.

By Marite (Marite) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 05:19 pm: Edit

Oops. See my comments on BU under the thread: "Are these schools really a step above the others."

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page