Help for college selection

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: September 2003 Archive: Help for college selection
By Cmd3958 (Cmd3958) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 05:38 pm: Edit

I'm a senior now at a public high school in central new york. Im havin a really hard time with my college choices. Im lookin to major in pre-med at a somewhat small private or public university. My stats are as follows:
GPA : 4+ weighted
SATs: 1320 (690M/630V)
SAT IIs: 660 Chem, 670 MathIC, 630 Writing
ACTs: 32
APs: World History, US History, Bio, English Language, Spanish, Physics B, Calculus AB
Strong senior schedule
Decent essays
I'm very involved in music. Concertmaster of the symphony, string quartet, choir
I'm a 3 year varsity cheerleader, 3 year varsity cross country runner, 1 year jv lacrosse, 2 years varsity track
I have strong ECs and some volunteer work.
My main issue is that I havent done very well on standardized tests and I hope that doesnt hold me back. Another thing is that I'm concerned about financial aid. I want to get the best education I can for the least amount of money, either a good public school or a decent private school with good possibility for scholarships. Please help me!

So far I've looked at:
SUNY Binghamton
SUNY Stonybrook
Colgate
Cornell
JHU
BC
Univ of Roch.
Univ of Richmond
Lehigh
Villanova
Brown
Siena
If you have any advice or suggestions please let me know. It means a lot to me!

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 02:35 pm: Edit

Try looking at some of the really good schools in Ohio: Kenyon, the College of Wooster, Oberlin, Denison. They tend to be less expensive than schools in the "northeast" and have excellent science programs.

Also, check out Rhodes College in Tenn. Good for pre-med. I'd also suggest you look at Bates, Colby, Hamilton, Dickinson, Union, and Franklin and Marshall.

Finally, you may want to also look at Skidmore and Goucher if you're a male. They're looking for male students.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page