Any Suggestions on Colleges?!?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: September 2003 Archive: Any Suggestions on Colleges?!?
By Calidan (Calidan) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 04:19 pm: Edit

Hi,
Im in my junior year at high school, and I just wanted to know what colleges (i.e. calibur and specific colleges) I should be looking into. My profile:
GPA: 3.9 ish (As and Bs freshman, As sophomore, and so far As this year).

SAT: I got a 1200, retaking, aim is 1350 (gonna take a class, I think) im not sure about ACTs.

SAT IIs: Havent taken them, but I'm gonna. Writing, math, and french probably. (what should I aim for???)

ECs: co-pres of french club, co-pres of honors irish student union, member of sunday sandwiches, was on the basketball team, now on the golf team, did odyssey of the mind (OM). (I probably need more)

senior year im taking AP english, AP calc., AP French, AP environmental science, spanish 4, and civics+economics. Im not taking any APs this year (Im taking math analysis, spanish 3, french 4, junior english, chemistry, US history). Im also not sure what percentile of my grade i'm in (maybe top 20%?). please be HONEST!

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 04:46 pm: Edit

What are your interests as far as possible majors? Where do you live? Do you have any geographic preferences or preferences in terms of school size? Have you already taken any honors or AP classes? It's hard to make recommendations without this information.

By Calidan (Calidan) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 08:25 pm: Edit

interests: maybe international business or international journalism

geographical areas: pretty much the coasts, but not the deep south

i might take 1 ap class this year (my junior year) at a local college... maybe euro hist, psychology, etc...

By Calidan (Calidan) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 01:58 am: Edit

anyone?!?!?!?!

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 11:07 am: Edit

Here's a list to get you started.
East Coast: Syracuse University, Boston University, Ithaca College, NYU, George Washington, Denison, Dickinson, the College of Wooster, Skidmore, Connecticutt College, Goucher, Hamilton. West Coast: Willamette, Santa Clara University, Pepperdine, University of the Pacific, Lewis and Clark. In between: Northwestern, Lawrence, Kenyon, Earlham, the University of Denver.

This is by no means a complete list of possibilities but should be a starting point for you to start figuring out what you like and don't like in schools (i.e., size, majors, requirements, social scene, etc.) Get a copy of the Princeton Guide or the Fiske Guide to see what they are like, read their web sites, etc. Some of these will be reaches with your current SATs, some are matches. If you can get your SATs up as you said, most of these will become matches and you'll be able to add some additional reaches to the list.

By Calidan (Calidan) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 09:49 pm: Edit

thx... anyone else?

By Calidan (Calidan) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 01:12 am: Edit

please?

By Calidan (Calidan) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 06:46 pm: Edit

bump

By Melan297 (Melan297) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 08:34 pm: Edit

I think if you get your SATs up like you plan you'll be competative. I don't know for sure because I'm just a student like you, but from what you've written and what I've heard I think you can eliminate the Ivys and focus on some of the hidden Ivys instead (ex: everything listed by Carolyn)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page