Could you tell me anything about these colleges?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: September 2003 Archive: Could you tell me anything about these colleges?
By Ria (Ria) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 09:44 am: Edit

I'm an international student and this is a list of colleges that the Swedish-American fundation helps students to apply to. I don't know anything about any of the colleges, I've looked for information on collegeboard but it isn't really helpful...

Augustana College - Rock Island, Illinois
Beloit College - Beloit, Wisconsin
California Lutheran University - Thousand Oaks, California
Denison University - Granville, Ohio
Elizabethtown College - Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania
Gustavus Adolphus College - St Peter, Minnesota
Illinois Institute of Technology - Chicago, Illinois
Lawrence University - Appleton, Wisconsin
Linfield College - McMinnville, Oregon
Luther College - Decorah, Iowa
North Park University - Chicago, Illinois
Saint Michael's College - Colchester, Vermont
Slippery Rock University - Slippery Rock, Pennsylvania
University of Oklahoma - Norman, Oklahoma
University of Oregon - Eugene, Oregon
Wittenberg University - Springfield, Ohio

Thank you for your time...

By Zephyrmaster (Zephyrmaster) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 01:25 pm: Edit

Well, I live in Washington so...

Linfield is a pretty small college. Not very special, and I really don't like the location.

UO isn't a bad school for a state school. Oregon is kind of in a budget crisis with schools, so I hear their are some cuts, etc... but it is still one the best universities in Oregon. (There is OSU).

Note: Both of these schools are a little... "liberal," if you know what I mean. OU has a reputation as a hippie school, undeserved a little.

I would look at websites for these schools.

By Shennie (Shennie) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 05:44 pm: Edit

I can help you with 3 on your list - Lawrence, Beloit and Luther. All 3 are small schools under 1500 students located in small towns. Lawrence and Beloit are stronger schools than Luther.

Luther is affiliated with the Lutheran church. Decorah is in northeastern, Iowa and kind of out in the middle of nowhere, but the area is pretty. Decorah is in a hilly part of Iowa, not in the cornfields that Iowa is famous for.

Beloit College is a very liberal school strong in many areas. It is especially known for anthropology. The town is a small, shabby industrial town that doesn't have much appeal. The campus is very attractive. It is near the interstate and about an hour from Madison, Milwaukee and Chicago so escape is possible.

Lawrence is best known for its small music conservatory but has very strong science programs as well. Appleton is a small industrial town but is in better shape economically than Beloit. Appleton is located on the north shore of a very large lake. That area of Wisconsin is pretty politically conservative. There are several smaller communities in the area that is collectively called the Fox River Valley area. There is quit a bit of outdoor recreation north of there.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page