Need info about Computer Engineering/Science schools & peopl

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: September 2003 Archive: Need info about Computer Engineering/Science schools & peopl
By Gogeta (Gogeta) on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 10:49 pm: Edit

I am very interested in taking computer engineering and/or computer science but I'd like to get the advice of anyone that has majored in it. Would you guys say that I would be suited if I had a lust with computers, like to mess around w/ software and hardware, etc. but I wouldn't wanna work in a cubicle or something. Do you guys think this is the mentality of a computer engineering/science major?

Also, could anyone direct me on the top lists of the top Computer Engineering and computer science schools? I tried usnews, but I do not have their premium service. Their service only shows MIT, Carnegie Mellon, and Stanford. Thanks

By Mcp (Mcp) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 09:24 am: Edit

US NEWS 2004 Rankings for Top Computer Engineering Schools :
1 MIT
2.Stanford
3.Univ.of Calif, Berkeley
4.CMU
5.Univ. of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
6.Ga Tech
6. U. Mich

Hope this helps.But look beyond the "rankings".RPI,Purdue have good Comp.engineering programs so do a number of other schools.
Computer engineering is as they say more " hardware" whereas computer science would be more software. These definations are very crude definations.There are a number of things you could do with good education in CS/CE.I strongly suggest that you talk with career councelor and / or a professional who is in computer science/engineering job.
Good luck

By Gogeta (Gogeta) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 09:41 am: Edit

I was told basically the same thing from a counselor, but she said to wait till I'm in college to decide my major. Thanks a bunch!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page