Thoughts about Auburn University, PLEASE PEOPLE...

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: September 2003 Archive: Thoughts about Auburn University, PLEASE PEOPLE...
By Nessa2005 (Nessa2005) on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 07:43 pm: Edit

well, i have seen everyone here talk about every school except for Auburn University. I'm considering it,, and i'm not sure if it's like a great school. I really would like to go to Northwestern or NYU but i do live near auburn, so i'll get in state tuition and all that other good stuff........ do you think its worth it? i appreciate all comments...

By Drusba (Drusba) on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 09:42 pm: Edit

First, the extremely important news. If you have not yet applied, do so immediately if you have already taken the SAT or ACT (either is required for admission). You can apply on line. It is rolling admissions and Auburn started admitting students for Fall 2004 beginning in June 2003. Once accepted (they notify you within 10 business days after your application is complete), you will need to pay a $200 fee. Though it is not officially due until May 1, pay it immediately after receiving notice to pay that fee. You can get it back if you do not attend. Why is that important? Once you pay that fee after admission, you get housing information and application and you check off your choices of places to stay. You then send that in with $125 ($100 of which is redeemable if you do not attend). Auburn does not guarantee freshmen housing and it has an extreme shortage of housing. The favorite dorms are the ones on the Hill and in the Quad. If you do not apply very soon and send in housing app very soon, you will not get those because everyone who has been applying since June has likely been requesting them as first choices and housing is awarded in order of being accepted. If you do not send in housing app before end of year, you may not get to stay in any university owned housing.

Auburn is actually a highly regarded school and its engineering program is considered first rate. It has one of the most impressive campuses I have seen. Very easy to get around and everything is within walking distance. Though there are roads running through the campus, there is a rule that all cars must stop whenever pedestrians try to cross anywhere and students think nothing of just crossing anywhere as a result. They are considering closing a number of the internal roads to traffic beginning in 2004. The city of Auburn (just a small town really) is not the big city but it is very nice and the town's relationship with the students is one of the best in the nation. There is a large greek presence although not necessary. Note that there are fraternity houses but no sorority houses -- the sororities occupy floors of dorms. Sports are high focus, particularly football; the school president even hosts tailgate parties.

As with any large state school, you will have a number of large classes; however, most professors are known to make themselves accessible. It seems to be a theme and a rule that everyone should be friendly to everyone else and that really is true there -- and if someone yells the greeting of "War Eagle" you better return it. The vast majority of students love being there. It has been said of Auburn that many seniors try to avoid graduating because they don't want to leave. For the most part, the education you get is what you make of it, as many can get by without too much devotion to studying. If you want a traditional college, the ability to get a good education if you devote yourself to it, can get into or live with high school spirit, then Auburn is definitely a place to consider.

By Nessa2005 (Nessa2005) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 04:47 pm: Edit

thanks for that info, it's really helpful.....

By Ckr1147 (Ckr1147) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 05:01 pm: Edit

Nessa - I attended Auburn many years back and I have to agree with what Drusba posted. Sounds like the overall atmosphere has not changed much.Just FYI when I went my first choice was Wake Forest, and third choice was William and Mary - obviously all totally different. I was accepted (out-of state) by Auburn and waitlisted by the others. Withdrew my apps from the others and decided to go with Auburn. I studied Education because you only had to take two math courses!! - hardly studied but made it out with a low B average - I know other students in things like Architecture and Engineering had a totally different experience and worked their butts off. So, as with everything, it depends alot on you and what direction you are going. I believe that Auburn at one time had one of the top, if not the top Veterinary Medicine school in the country. Also, I think for the tech stuff (Engineering and the like) the school has a very good reputation. It is a traditional SEC school when it comes to sports - football is king - I absolutely loved my time there. made great friends, and would not trade it...(I was a Yankee, too!) wherever you decide, best of luck to you.

By Nessa2005 (Nessa2005) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 06:26 pm: Edit

i appreciate it Ckr

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page