Do you think this list is good for me? What would you recomm

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: September 2003 Archive: Do you think this list is good for me? What would you recomm
By Zephyrmaster (Zephyrmaster) on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 06:22 pm: Edit

Okay, I'm "Undecided" though I'm thinking of a history major leading to law or CS... I'm really not sure.

SAT II's:
Chemistry 650 (63rd percentile)
Math Level 2 w/Calculator 690 (59th%)
Writing 710 (81%)
US History 750 (93%)

SAT: 1360 (Took it twice, same EXACT scores)
Math - 650, Verbal - 710
PSAT: 208 (I know it doesn't matter)

GPA: 4.0/4.0 (So far, I'm a senior now).

E.C: Not much (compared to some I see),
1 year of Key Club (time conflict)
1 year of FBLA (same)
4 years of Science Olympiad
4 years of Chess Club (whoopie doo... )
2 years of NHS (I didn't win an election for treasurer... by 2 votes. Dang)
Tutoring afterschool

AP Scores:

US History - 4
Calculus - 4
European History - 5
English Literature - 5

--------
My list: (In no order)
--------

Rice
Columbia
University of Chicago
Boston University
New York University
Stanford (Maybe, my mom is asian.. it's the only school she knows other than Harvard and MIT...)
University of Washington (Ultimate safety...)

Any suggested schools? I really don't know, this seems like such a monumental decision.

By Haon (Haon) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 05:55 pm: Edit

What made you pick these schools? What are you looking for in a college?

By Theuofcgirl (Theuofcgirl) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 06:33 pm: Edit

It depends on what you want in a college.

I don't know too much about Rice, so I'll let someone else talk about that.

Columbia was my dream school.. We all have dreams, but what can you do? Together, Columbia and the U of C are the colleges from your list where you'll have to face a Core curriculum, meaning there will be some number of classes that you *must* take. If you want a well-rounded sort of education that's not just centered on your specific major, then the Core could be for you. If the idea of taking more science/math/english/ history/whatever because you have to doesn't appeal to you, then you should probably look elsewhere. Columbia is gorgeous, in my opinion, and it's in New York City, so there isn't too much more that you could ask for. I'm assuming you're into the city thing because you have NYC, Chicago and Boston.. It may be one of your reach scores, considering it's very, very hard to get into and you don't have as many ECs as the next person out there. If you make the ones you have shine, you should have a good chance.

I, personally, adore the U of C just as much as I did/do Columbia. That could be because I go there and love it, but you know.. I'm just a bit biased. The U of C campus is gorgeous and gothic and the city is great! Chicago has a reputation for being no fun - "the place where fun comes to die" - but it's really not true. True, the U of C crowd is a very intellectual type of crowd. If you don't like to read and study and work hard, then it's probably not the place for you. The key to the U of C application process is the essay; they really look for uniqueness and style, something that tells them who you are without the run of the mill type of spelling it out.

Boston's a bit less hardcore than Columbia and Chicago. I have friends there (and I applied and got in) and they love it. Boston's pretty generous when it comes to financial aid and not as hard to get into. I'd say BU is one of your safeties/fits. Keep the grades up and you're good to go.

NYU is a place that you should probably visit before applying/deciding which school to attend. Like I've said elsewhere, I was in love with NYU on paper/in theory. The problem came when I visited. For me, a campus and a real college feel is important. NYU doesn't really have that. The campus is spread out through Greenwhich/Greenwich (I don't remember how to spell it) Village. It sort of blends in with the city around it; housing can also be sort of a problem - I have a friend who lives in an NYU dorm and has to take the subway/bus to school for 30/45 minutes to get to school. It is a really cool place, though. It just depends on your preferences, really.

I didn't apply to Stanford, but saw it when I was in Palo Alto / San Jose for Spring Break. It's absolutely gorgeous! The weather, the campus.. made me kick myself for not applying to California schools. Not to mention, Stanford's a great place with a great reputation (and obvious name recognition). I don't know too much about it.. but it's so amazingly pretty and chill..

I don't know anything about the University of Washington.. Soo.. moving on.

Other schools I'd look at if I were you:
Washington University in Saint Louis
University of Rochester (as a safety)
Brandeis University (in Boston)
Maybe Boston College..
Northwestern University (in Chicago)

Best of luck to you!

By Becks777 (Becks777) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 07:24 pm: Edit

Chicago-Awesome city!! but u of c.........nope a dull and boring university where i believe the fun really comes to a die.....plus the neighbhorhood is not good either

By Zephyrmaster (Zephyrmaster) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 09:41 pm: Edit

Thanks for all the information theuofcgirl!

I was reading some reviews of NYU, and am thinking maybe it's not for me. I really want a college atmosphere.

I thought about Washington and Northwestern, but don't know much about either. Washington flooded me with material though (they must have a lot of money for PR), so I am a little interested. Anyone know much about them?

By Becks777 (Becks777) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 10:05 pm: Edit

Northwestern is pretty cool....u wont expect the 100 year old buildings there since its a relatively newly built one. plus its in an excellent location in the suburbs of chicago...

P.S- all my comments about u of c and northwestern is based completely on outward appearences and the looks and the location of the campus.....and not on the quality of education and all that stuff

By Shoshie (Shoshie) on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 12:34 am: Edit

Suburbs of Chicago=boringness

Not as much a fan of Northwestern, but then it's also a half hour away from me, which is just way too close.

The city is much better to live in (in my opinion). Plus, Hyde Park itself isn't bad, just the neighborhood surrounding it. Plus there are a million security measures that the university takes. When I visited, I didn't feel unsafe in the least.

Wash U rocks my socks. Great Earth and Planetary Sciences departement. Beautiful campus, too.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page