Schools with good Economics?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: September 2003 Archive: Schools with good Economics?
By Bobbyd (Bobbyd) on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 05:04 pm: Edit

I'm looking for some of the best econ/math undergrad programs. Could anyone help me think of a few schools to consider. It is really important to me that I go to a politically active campus and the more conservative the college the better. Iím looking for smaller schools(<8000) and Iím also looking for the schools not known as Ďpartyí schools with few or no fraternities and sororities.

Heres my list right now, please comment or add a few other schools to look at. I know some of my schools are against my preferences above, ie Dartmouth is a huge party school, so none of my preferences are must have.

Reach: Yale, Princeton, Dartmouth, Northwestern, Chicago(Gonna have to cut 1 or 2)
Match: Bowdoin, Davidson, Williams
Safety: Maryland(in-state it will be free most likely:), William and Mary.

My safety's and reach's are pretty much set in stone, but my match's change every week lol:). Thanks for your time/help. BTW one last thing, I'm going to get about 5k in fin aid but my parents might not pay more than 15k a year, so if you know any schools with merit scholarships that would be great.

By Bobbyd (Bobbyd) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 09:44 am: Edit

bump

By Haon (Haon) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 05:50 pm: Edit

Williams is significantly harder to get into than Northwestern and Chicago. Williams should be a reach and NW and Chicago should be matches.

I went to high school in maryland so I know CP...their economics department does not compare with any of your match/reach schools.

Northwestern is known as a party school (not as much as dartmouth is). Chicago is known for being NOT a party school.

Middlebury (which is not on your list) has a good economics program and Williams has both an excellent economics program AND an excellent math program. Unfortunately, I don't believe any of the match/reaches you've posted offer merit-based aid. However, many of them are very generous with need-based aid and offer you'll be able to get more out of a college (after you're accepted) by sending them a list of aid you've been offered elsewhere.

By Theuofcgirl (Theuofcgirl) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 06:49 pm: Edit

I don't know if I'd agree with Haon about Northwestern and Chicago being matches; they're tougher to get into than you think, especially with a desired major like Econ.

That said, from your reach list, I'd cut Northwestern and one of the ivies. I don't know which has the weakest Econ program, but find out.. and cut that one.

Why cut Northwestern? I don't think that you'd like it there, considering you mentioned wanting a place without much party life. Northwestern's notorious for partying and has a huge Greek scene. I know you say that it's not that important, but the fact that you mentioned it says otherwise. I felt sort of the same way and am happy with the sparse party scene at the U of C. If you want a party, you can find one, but there is no pressure to party whatsoever - the emphasis is on working hard. I'm sort of biased, though, considering I attend the U of C. I love it!

If the partying thing truly isn't that important, I'd leave Northwestern and cut Dartmouth. If I'm not mistaken, Northwestern's Econ department is ranked higher than Dartmouth's.. and Northwestern may be a bit less of a big party school, but just a bit..

Other schools with reputable Econ programs (or so I've heard):
University of Minnesota
University of Michigan
UC San Diego
University of Rochester (would probably make a good safety)
University of North Carolina

Whatever you decide to do with your list, make sure to visit your match schools and a few of your reach schools to make sure that the atmosphere is one that you like! That's what really made my decision easier.. Good luck!

By Bobbyd (Bobbyd) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 08:52 pm: Edit

Thanks for the tips guys.

To the UofCgirl. Northwestern has a few things which I really like, including the themed housing and the specialized math programs. Plus, its location is awesome. On the other hand though, its nice to hear that you love the UofC, I think it may be my top choice right now, but this 'fun comes to die' quote I get from my friends every time I mention it can be really discouraging. BTW I've visited all of the schools on my list except Yale and the 3 matches, and you have read my mind, I will probably cut dartmouth or northwestern:).

To Haon: I realize UMCP has the weakest program of all those on my lists but from what I hear it is still an excellent school for econ, especially since I plan on going to graduate or law school, in which case undergraduate degree is much less important. Do you really think its far behing the others?

Anyone else have advice that would be much appreciated.

By Haon (Haon) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 12:19 am: Edit

One of my best friend's a freshman at UChicago this year. His decision ended up coming down to WashU STl, Northwestern, and UChicago. He hasn't arrived there yet (they start sept 19th I believe) but if you give me your email I can keep you updated on the truth in that rumor. he was very concerned about the reputation as well. My mom actually attended UChicago for english grad school and her take on the undergrads were about 1/2 of them absolutely loved the school and about 1/2 of them absolutely hated the school. This was about 15 years ago so I doubt THAT much has changed since.

theufcgirl--True, UChicago and Northwestern may not be matches at all--each are very selective schools. However, Chicago has a very high acceptance rate (it's very self selecting) and if bobby considers bowdoin and davidson matches, he should also consider UChicago.

Bobby--people in Maryland have the unfortunately quality for playing up UMCP... it's a decent school but it is not even one of the top public state schools. I would not consider it (especially not for undergraduates) on the same level of any of the other schools you've listed. UMCP is 35,000 people and even if they DID have the same program that Williams/UChicago, you'd have trouble getting to it. It's too large of a school to have even half-accessible professors. I actually have several close friends goign to UMCP right now and while they love the school, academics aren't the reason.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page