Help

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: September 2003 Archive: Help
By Bored (Bored) on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 08:03 pm: Edit

I'll be the first to admit that my credentials are not great, but I have to get into a college right?

SAT: verbal 660
math 640
(first attempt, didn't study at all. I've been studying a lot this summer and I'm almost positive both grades are going up when I take it again)

SAT II: math IIC 670
physics 730
biology 690
(taking writing. I'm guessing it will be around the 700)

EC's: Not many. Volunteer work and part-time job.

A few strong recommendations.

It's tentative, but I'm planning on applying to Boston college, Boston U, Carnegie Mellon, Cornell, Georgetown, UC Berkeley, UCLA, UMich, UPenn, and SUNY binghamton. I'm a New Yorker, so the SUNY is my safety.

I'm probably not going to even apply to UPenn, considering my chances are pretty much nil. As for the others, I've been told I have small to fair chances.

Any suggestions and opinions are welcome. Any advice on elimating some of them from my list would be appreciated as well. I'm interested in what others have to say.

By Nealp (Nealp) on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 09:59 pm: Edit

get rid of west coast schools why would you wanna be so far from ny?

By Spiffybrownboy (Spiffybrownboy) on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 10:02 pm: Edit

Grades? lol... you should add those into the mix.

Assuming your grades are very good (yea, that's kinda broad), and you bring up your SATs to the upper 1300's or a 1400, some of those schools should be doable. The ones that will be crapshoots are Georgetown, the UC's, Carnegie, and Cornell. Right now, the schools I mentioned are big reaches, and will be more in your grasp if your SAT rises about 100 points. Definitely add more good matches and perhaps take out a reach or two (unless it breaks your heart to do so). Good luck!

BTW, what do you want to study? I found it a bit odd you had both Georgetown and CMU on your list, considering one is geared more towards humanities and social sciences, and the other, the hard-core physical sciences. Do both schools happen to have stellar programs in something you want?

And DON'T get rid of west coast schools. I think it's great for people to experience different parts of the country, and there are great schools everywhere. I know I'd be homesick but it's just something I need to do (I live in NJ and am applying as far as UMinnesota-Twin Cities!). Whatever floats your boat...

By Bored (Bored) on Friday, September 05, 2003 - 11:55 am: Edit

Business. I'm pretty sure most of my choices so far have decent undergraduate business programs. If anyone can offer better suggestions as matches for me, it will be appreciated. When it comes to finding colleges, I'm horrible at it.

Moving away is my #1 objective, so I'll keep the west coast schools.

My grades are pretty good. 95 average and I'm in a competitive school.

By Spiffybrownboy (Spiffybrownboy) on Friday, September 05, 2003 - 05:40 pm: Edit

Emory is said to have a great business program, and you are almost a match for there. NYU is wonderful for business (Stern, of course), but getting admission might be a doozy. Get your hands on the Gourman Report and look at the undergraduate business programs ranked. You may not want to spend too much time contemplating a school's rank though, as the report is known to be biased (the guy loves large state schools). However, any program ranked there will be very good, and you can pick out some that sound appealing to you. Then, go on the schools' websites and check the stats of their entering freshmen class. Compare your stats to their stats and you should have an idea of whether the school is a reach/match/safety or an in-between kind of thing.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page