US College For an International Student

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: September 2003 Archive: US College For an International Student
By Ria (Ria) on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 03:43 pm: Edit

Hi...

I currently a junior and an international student and I'm looking to a college where I could get finicial aid. Maybe a small college with few international students or something like that? I've basicly heard of the schools in the Ivy Leage and the top 25 but I'm sort of looking for a smaller, more unknown school. I don't know what I'd like to major in but I'd like to be able to study english, math and biology and some art maybe. Maybe engineering. I have good grades but I haven't taken the sat's. If you need more information, ask... :) Thank you for your time...

By Becks777 (Becks777) on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 05:46 pm: Edit

Vassar college in NY is small and offers great aid for int students too, and is in the top 15 univs in america, where u from?

By Ria (Ria) on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 02:15 am: Edit

Thanks... I'm from Sweden...

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Friday, September 05, 2003 - 10:50 am: Edit

The University of Redlands in California is a good school and also offers financial aid to international students. The College of Wooster in Ohio is another possibility. Both have good programs in the areas you're interested in.
Good luck!

By Ria (Ria) on Friday, September 05, 2003 - 01:40 pm: Edit

University of Redlands sounds interesting, thank you! Wooster sounds great as well but it says on their website that candidates must be able to contribute 60% or more of their annual expenses, not including travel, while studying at The College of Wooster. I don't think my parents could afford that.

By Arcadia (Arcadia) on Friday, September 05, 2003 - 02:44 pm: Edit

Look into Middlebury and Williams, two small LACs in the northeast US. Both offer full aid to international students and are need blind in admissions. They are very competitive schools and are well known in New England, however. Middlebury and a similar school, Bowdoin College in Maine, are SAT I optional, so if you do poorly on the SAT I, you need not submit your scores. Other good LACs to look at include Hamilton College (NY), Connecticut College, Bates College (ME), Colby College (ME), Grinnell College (IA), and Kenyon College (OH).

Good luck!

By Haon (Haon) on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 06:48 pm: Edit

Middlebury is NOT need-blind for international students.

The schools that are need-blind for ALL students are as follows:

Harvard, Yale, Williams, Princeton.
I've heard that MIT is as well but I haven't found anything to support that.

By Ria (Ria) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 09:38 am: Edit

Arcadia - Thank you for the list of colleges!

By Arcadia (Arcadia) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 11:08 am: Edit

Haon,
Middlebury IS need blind for international students. Call the admissions office and they will confirm this.

These web sites are good resources for international students looking for aid.

The list at the bottom indicates which schools are need blind (look for schools with an "*").

http://www.eca.com.ve/counselling/College%20program/the%20list.htm

also look at this site:

http://www.osvita.org/eng/guides/financial.aid/uacufinaid/

By Haon (Haon) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 05:46 pm: Edit

"Financial assistance at Middlebury is based entirely on established need and, to the degree resources permit, is offered to international students on the same basis as it is to U.S. citizens. Each student is currently expected to contribute a minimum of $1,100 toward first-year expenses, and a minimum of $1,450 for the sophomore, junior and senior years."

Taken from: http://www.middlebury.edu/offices/admit/applying/intcandid/

The key phrase in there is "**to the degree resources permit**, is offered to International students on the same basis as US citizens."

Middlebury is NOT entirely need-blind for international students. The first web site you listed is out of date and incorrect. While the 2nd site doesn't list what amount of aid the students needed, it is still a good resource.

By Antelito (Antelito) on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 07:45 pm: Edit

hi... i want to pursue a degree either in international relations or interdisciplinary studies and a minor in art history. im looking for a college in the north east (preferably in a urban or suburban area) that fulfills my academic needs, and which offers financial aid for international students. could u plz help me?!
brief facts
nationality: bolivian
SAT Scores : 680 math, 600 verbal
Toefl Score : 640 (paper based)
gpa: 3.56

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page