Admission process for foreigners and minority

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: September 2003 Archive: Admission process for foreigners and minority
By Afroman (Afroman) on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 05:59 am: Edit

I am from south africa and i have heard of the good American colleges like Mit, Harv and the rest i scored 1380 on sat and plan to do sat2 what are my chances like -mike

By Afroman (Afroman) on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 02:48 am: Edit

is there anybody who can help please. i was adviced i would get help here -mike

By Valpal (Valpal) on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 08:06 am: Edit

Afroman, sounds like you know very little about the colleges and universities available in America. You should do more research, perhaps go to some college's official websites. Also, in order to be competitive in schools like Harvard and MIT, you need to be very good at both, speaking, reading, and WRITING English. I'm assuming that English is not your first language. If that's the case, than certainly, an SAT score of 1380 is quite respectable. However, most students who are accepted to schools like, Harvard and MIT, score well above 1450 on the SAT. Additionally, as a student for whom English is a foreign language, you will need to take the TOFAL exam.

Other than your SAT score, you have told us nothing about yourself. No one can give any sort of assessment of your chances at any school without more information. Your course load, GPA (grade point average), ECs (extra-curricular activites), honors and awards, etc., are all very important factors when applying to American colleges.

Please take care when posting. Make sure to write complete sentences and punctuate properly in order to ensure readability. We would like to help you, Afroman, but we need more feedback from you first.

By Afroman (Afroman) on Friday, September 05, 2003 - 03:22 am: Edit

I do not understand the GPA system but I graduated top 5 in my school My extracurriculars are a little of soccer and I am actively involved in charity for AIDS orphans, a big problem in my country. Elite American colleges are now just a dream to me, I have looked at their websites and I have decided to back down, I may not be exactly the student they want and since I am not a native English speaker I may have problems. Furthermore their costs are prohibitively expensive as I would have applied as an International student,
THANKS ALOT VALPAL you can send me email at mikemwangi1230HOTMAIL.COM AFROMAN

By Haon (Haon) on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 06:49 pm: Edit

If you're applying for aid keep in mind that most schools aren't need blind for internationals.
The schools that are need blind are Harvard, Yale, Williams, Princeton and possibly MIT

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page