NYU vs. Tulane

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: September 2003 Archive: NYU vs. Tulane
By Acochra (Acochra) on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 02:55 am: Edit

I'm a high school senior investigating colleges...

I'm looking at Tulane and NYU, because they're both supposed to give good financial aid and academic scholarships. They both essentially have identical student profiles in terms of SAT scores and class ranks. Both have their pros and cons ... but, 1. Which has more prestige and 2. is the difference significant enough to matter in my career and social life later on?

It would be helpful if perhaps you could rank on scales from 1-10 or something.
Thanks.

By Argilospsychi (Argilospsychi) on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 03:17 am: Edit

If you have the SAT scores, (1350 and up) then Tulane gives very good financial aid.

How many people go to NYU? From what I know Tulane is smaller and more personal.

By Spiffybrownboy (Spiffybrownboy) on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 11:26 am: Edit

1. Prestige: NYU, I think anyone will agree. Tulane may be known in the south, but in the north, it is definitely not as recognizable as NYU.

2. It would depend on what you go to either school for. I'm not sure what Tulane is strong in, but I know NYU's Stern and Tisch schools are HIGHLY regarded.

Downside to NYU is its campus is NYC itself. Your social life is NYC, which is a good thing to some who like to go out and explore, but a bad thing for those who want a more intimate, closer social life.

By Anotherdad (Anotherdad) on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 05:44 pm: Edit

In terms of national prestige, it is NYU hands down, especially if you get into its premier programs. For many fields NYU is great for getting into grad schools or easing into careers through internships.
You are the only person I know who has ever suggested that NYU is at all generous with financial aid.

By Ksolo (Ksolo) on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 11:49 pm: Edit

NYU has more prestige than Tulane. And you know, I hear a lot of people talk about how NYU does not have a "campus." But this is not really true. The main campus in downtown Manhattan has mainly NYU buildings, and each are close to one another. So you'll see quite a number of NYU students go to and from class and such. It's definitely a campus, except that it doesn't have gates around the area, enclosing it's students.

Not sure what would be the difference socially with NYU vs. Tulane. But career wise, NYU stands out more. For social life, if Tulane's student population is smaller, it "might" be better than NYU socially. Since, it's easier to build bonds at smaller schools. But this too has it's disadvantages also.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page