Looking for math schools with music

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: September 2003 Archive: Looking for math schools with music
By Pickleprsn (Pickleprsn) on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 11:52 am: Edit

I've been checking out this website for a week or so now, and I thought I'd ask for some input on my attempts to solidify the colleges I will be applying to as a senior this fall. I'm looking to go into math/science but it would be a major plus if the school had a strong music program as well. I'd like to stay in the Northeast, preferably PA, NY, MA, NJ, etc. I could go for any size, from slightly small to slightly big. I'm also mostly in the middle on type of location...Suburban, rural, urban. Some other info:

SAT 720 math, 720 verbal (hoping to retake if possible, this was my first and only time)
SAT II's taking ASAP
PSAT 74 verbal, 72 math, 69 writing (National Merit Finalist or soemthing like that)
GPA is 4.6118, I have always gotten staright A's
Class rank unavailable but am in the top 5-10% of my large and competitive class of about 650
AP's 5 on calc BC, 4 on AP US, 3 on Physics B :-(
Took a very rigorous schedule Junior year especially, all AP/advanced classes including French
Extracurriculars focused on music, with marching band and festivals (I was first chair clarinet at districts and regionals, second at states) and I am first chair in my school's symphonic band...also take private lessons. I am involved with the Key Club and volunteering at the Red Cross.

Sorry if this seems like a lot of information, I'm just trying to provide a good picture of myself. Anyway, I've been looking into schools like Princeton, MIT and Cornell as reach schools and Ithaca as somewhere I could probably get in to. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 01:53 pm: Edit

The University of Rochester - good math program, good music program.

If you're willing to look just a bit west, Oberlin in Ohio would fit your needs.

By Shennie (Shennie) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 08:29 pm: Edit

You also might want to look at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page