Schools with good history departments

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: September 2003 Archive: Schools with good history departments
By Polo320 (Polo320) on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 12:01 am: Edit

Hello there,
I am in search of a school in the North East or in California (I live in CT) that have very good history programs (I plan to go to law school) and that are less than 15-30 mins from a major city (ie: Boston, NYC, DC, LA etc.) my SATís should be up to a 1300 +/- by the time I apply and I have very good ECís and recís. I know these are very broad guidelines but Iím looking for a pretty broad list of schools too. Thank you for any suggestion you can give!

By Uniqueid (Uniqueid) on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 10:39 am: Edit

I think it depends more on what type of history you want to focus on. Johns Hopkins near Baltimore is really strong, but if you want early American history, schools near Boston probably are. Schools in the southeast along the Civil War route are supposed to be great for colonial stuff.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 02:02 pm: Edit

My daughter is interested in history also so we've been researching schools with strong departments. In addition to Johns Hopkins, these are suggestions for schools that have well-rounded history programs. Nearly all of these schools also have a good track record of law school placement. Of course, not all of these are near "major" cities but this list may help you figure it out.

East Coast
Bates, William & Mary, Mary Washington College, Goucher, Georgetown, George Washington, Bowdoin, Dickinson, Gettysburg, Tufts, Boston College, Amherst, Duke, Emory, Vanderbilt, Hamilton, Kenyon, Rhodes, Williams, Allegheny, Trinity (CT), Colgate, Davidson, Vanderbilt, Oberlin, the College of Wooster, Bucknell, Yale

West Coast
Pomona, Claremont-McKenna, Loyola Marymount, Reed, Whitman, Willamette, the University of the Pacific, UC Davis, UC Berkeley, UCLA, University of Washington, Seattle University

Other areas: Trinity U (TX), Rice, Grinnell, Lawrence, Macalester, Carleton, Tulane

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page