Brown

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: September 2003 Archive: Brown
By Tennizpro06 (Tennizpro06) on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 11:58 am: Edit

I've heard that a lot of people don't like this school and compared to the other Ivys, its reputation definitely isn't too great. Can someone tell me why?

By Crnchycereal (Crnchycereal) on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 12:27 pm: Edit

Some people regard Brown as a school for flakes and "off-beat" kids, mostly because they have no core curriculum or core requirements. You can essentially take any classes you want, regardless of whether they are related to each other.

By Ooga (Ooga) on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 09:32 pm: Edit

well, except their major requirements.

By Jnorsky18 (Jnorsky18) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 04:41 pm: Edit

brown ROCKS!!

i like the open cirriculum as compared to columbia. Language is not my thing, yet 4 years of it is required there!! NO WAY

By Argilospsychi (Argilospsychi) on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 03:36 am: Edit

It's probably 4 semesters -- 2 years

But I agree. I think it would be awesome to take only what you want!!

By Ughstinkysocks (Ughstinkysocks) on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 10:38 pm: Edit

i love the campus... they have a science/research building which the one of the collest buildings ive seen in all of the colleges i have visited... it has 14 floors the color of the floors are arranged like the pH [red -> purple/blue]....

By Brown_Man (Brown_Man) on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 11:09 am: Edit

I've heard that a lot of people don't like this school and compared to the other Ivys, its reputation definitely isn't too great. Can someone tell me why?

Brown students are happy students. we like how the system works here. the open curriculum, the number one reason why people decide to attend Brown, rocks!!! people here are very nice and friendly. i guess you could say that there are some people who can be considered as "flakes," but the truth is many people here take advantage of the open curriculum to get a well-rounded education. Im an engineering major (also a premed) and im planning to take classes in Egyptology and in Classics. now tell me, how often do you meet an engineer who knows how to speak latin and read hieroglyphics?
Fact: Brown admits offbeat geniuses.
its reputation may not be as great as that of harvard's or princeton's or yale's; however, brown is known for the success of its graduates. brown sends a lot of its students to well-known graduate schools.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page