What are "impressive" A.P

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: September 2003 Archive: What are "impressive" A.P
By Boatboat (Boatboat) on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 08:27 pm: Edit

are colleges more impressed by certain AP's and less impressed with others?

By Jje (Jje) on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 11:43 pm: Edit

stuff like art history and envio sci are considered less impressive then say Calc or Eng.

By Boatboat (Boatboat) on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 11:47 pm: Edit

how about A.P physics

By Bitz (Bitz) on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 03:05 am: Edit

Physics C is liked, B is not.

By Dumbuket (Dumbuket) on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 05:48 am: Edit

Balls to that. Physics B is plenty impressive. Take AP's you want credit in. If you can handle it, take as many as possible. That way, your first semester, (or year, or couple years) of college will seem easy by comparison. Or you cna lighten your load. Typically, though, colleges are less impressed with the following AP classes, (I gathered this from my senior high school classmates, who are all in college with me now).

Less Impressive: Government, Statistics, Environmental Science, Psychology, Spanish, French, Art History

More Impressive: Language and Composition, Literature and Composition, Physics B, either of the Physics C exams, Chem, Economics, (Macro and Micro), US History

I've taken a bunch from both groups, and the list isn't exactly exhaustive, but the point is, most of the "softer" AP's are considered a plus, but not a huge one if a schedule is light on difficult "core" subjects. Colleges are most impressed by a schedule that seems difficult.

On a slightly cynical note, school admissions policies are not only not a science, they are often not as thoughtful or fair as one would like. try interning at an admissions department if you are morbidly curious. If you get sick to your stomach, though, don't say I didn't warn you.

By Redgrail (Redgrail) on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 10:46 am: Edit

Bollocks.

Of course, everything depends on what you want to do. If you want to do EnvioSci, then do.
If you're only taking classes to impress admissions officers, then you shouldn't be taking those classes at all.

Dumbucket's list is very deceptive: Government (especially Comparative) and foreign language classes are considered vital parts of an application to, for example, G-town's SFS. Physics C won't matter so much if you want to study classics. And so on, so forth.

Go with what you want to do, and what you think will be most useful to you later on.

By O71394658 (O71394658) on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 12:05 pm: Edit

Personally, I only heard Studio Art and Psychology were the easy ones. I took Enviro science and I got a 5; it has the lowest average grade out of all the AP exams. I took U.S. History and although I got a 4 on it (which I dispute), I thought Enviro was harder. :\

That's for the tests themselves. As for the actual classes, it depends from school to school.

By Confetti (Confetti) on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 01:48 am: Edit

ap art history is considered the toughest course at my school. it'd be a shame for the adcoms to look down on it.

By Gagner (Gagner) on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 11:23 pm: Edit

I got a 4 in Art History and that's my only B in high school. I wave my fist at that class. Grrr...

French is considered LIGHT? Are you positive? It is such a hard test! Even native speakers don't always make fives. All the language tests are difficult - including the English ones.

European History kicked my butt also.

By Bft (Bft) on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 01:54 am: Edit

Physics B is impressive. Physics C is just /very/ impressive.

By Uniqueid (Uniqueid) on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 10:42 am: Edit

I agree with Redgrail. If you're going for a liberal arts major, 5s in those APs will be very impressive. They'll be content to see that you got a A or B in physics but will care more that you got a 5 on AP English, French, psych, whatever.

Take the APs that fit your interests and capabilities the best and don't worry so much about which test is more impressive.

By Ceruleanne (Ceruleanne) on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 01:14 pm: Edit

I hear foreign languages are pretty hard aps but I'd say the science ones are the worst. Chem and Physics and such. However, I didn't find the English to be as hard as say...US History. I got a 4 in the English without studying or trying and I studied intensely for US History and only got a 3 (which I angrily wave my fist at)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page