Brown or Dartmouth

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: September 2003 Archive: Brown or Dartmouth
By Sid_Mathur (Sid_Mathur) on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 03:24 pm: Edit

Which school would u choose between these 2 if u had a choice? why?

By Pookdogg (Pookdogg) on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 04:30 pm: Edit

Brown, without a doubt. Granted, I think Dartmouth is too small for me, but still...

Dartmouth, for all it's Ivy League glory, still doesn't have the premium staff or student body of, say, a Harvard or Yale. It's out in the middle of nowhere (also see Cornell). Plus, I've been hearing more things about Dartmouth drinking deaths and STD rates than out of any other Ivy League school.

Just my opinion. I'm sure Dartmouth is the right school for some people, just not me.

By Encomium (Encomium) on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 04:35 pm: Edit

Dartmouth, definitely. It has a gorgeous location, which I personally like. I like its academics much better than Brown's, it's teaching staff is world class (not as many TA's like Harvard), and it's quality of life is fantastic--my friends say the dorms are wonderful. I agree about the drinking and stuff, but you could NOT do that--and also they have a non-drinking dorm thing that you apply to.

I think it's a matter of preference.

By Brown_Man (Brown_Man) on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 11:00 pm: Edit

you like a well rounded education?
then go to brown!
You will benefiit from the open curriculum.
im an engineering major taking classes in sign language, classics, and political science... and oh yeah.... comparative literature too....

By Argilospsychi (Argilospsychi) on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 11:40 pm: Edit

depends what you're looking for

brown: cool, alternativeish people
pretty cool college town

dartmouth: preppy, frat people
out in the middle of friggin no where

By Argilospsychi (Argilospsychi) on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 11:41 pm: Edit

If i had an nth of a chance to get in at brown i would go there in half a second

By Brown_Man (Brown_Man) on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 04:02 pm: Edit

brown may be ranked seventeenth in the us news rankings.... but i would definitely tell you that it is more than that. go to the other thread... ivy league schools... brown.... somebody explained very well what brown has to offer.

By Argilospsychi (Argilospsychi) on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 04:07 pm: Edit

brown man:

what are your stats?
i.e....how did you get in?

By Argilospsychi (Argilospsychi) on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 03:49 am: Edit

bump!

By Brown_Man (Brown_Man) on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 11:09 am: Edit

1310 sat
700 bio, 730 mathiic 630 writing
im in engineering

i got in because of my essays.... really... ur essays are a big part of the application

By Argilospsychi (Argilospsychi) on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 03:05 am: Edit

what did you write about

what were your
ec, gpa, classes?

By Mr_Sanguine (Mr_Sanguine) on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 11:37 am: Edit

are you a URM? tnx

By Argilospsychi (Argilospsychi) on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 06:59 pm: Edit

urm?

By Redgrail (Redgrail) on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 07:15 pm: Edit

under represented minority, I suppose.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

By Brown_Man (Brown_Man) on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 10:01 pm: Edit

im am a minority. but i dont think im underrepresented. i came to US four years ago. didnt speak the language that much then.... so yeah... writing is my weakness... as u could tell.
abt my essay, i just talked abt life experiences... ie immigration.... and how these taught me to be mature.. to think critically.... to... whatever....

By Argilospsychi (Argilospsychi) on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 01:32 pm: Edit

where are you from?

By 2006dartmouth (2006dartmouth) on Friday, September 05, 2003 - 06:49 pm: Edit

Being extremely biased and completely opposite from BrownMan (I obviously go to Dartmouth), I'd like to add a thing or two to this thread. First, check out http://www.collegeconfidential.com/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?8/27298 for more information about Dartmouth. I won't repeat what I wrote there, but I will make a few comments about this thread.

"Doesn't have the premium staff or student body"
Ouch, guess I'm not premium. What is premium? If you look at leaders across various fields they are scattered at many different schools. What's more, most of the schools they "teach" at emphasize research and graduduate education for these "big names" over undergraduate education. That means you subsidize other people to learn, and you get the dregs of whatever's left. Dartmouth makes a commitment to undergraduate education that is unequalled at any Ivy, Stanford or UC Berkeley. And Dartmouth professors ARE big names - John Rassias, who INVENTED the language teaching method that colleges across the country use to teach. He teaches freshmen. George Cybenko, an expert on IT issues and Computer Science. He teaches several courses a year. Ned Lebow, one of the best know international relations scholars, taught my first class ever at Dartmouth freshman fall. And teaching for them is not a burden or an obligation - it's something they enjoy, or they wouldn't be at Dartmouth.

'Drinking deaths and STD rates'
I have only one thing to say on this issue: I challenge you to name the last Dartmouth Student to die as the result of drinking. I challenge you to provide any evidence of high STD rates at Dartmouth. Maybe you're talking about pinkeye, which I suppose could be transmitted sexually if the eyes are called 'sexual organs'?

"Brown provides a well rounded education"
This may be true. I am no Brown expert, but it seems to me if you want a well rounded education you should go to a school which at least has some requirement to take classes outside your field of study and involve yourself in other cultures (that would be Dartmouth, not Brown). Everything you described exists at Dartmouth. In fact, I'd go a step farther and say that those classes exist at every school in the country.

"People at Brown are alternative and people at Dartmouth belong to frats"
Hasty generalizations much? Maybe visit each campus and then see?

If you take away one thing from what I've said, let it be this: Be skeptical of generalizations about 4,000 people and sweeping statements about colleges, especially from people who don't attend them. It's tough enough to compare two totally different schools without that nonsense.

By Aparent (Aparent) on Friday, September 05, 2003 - 07:06 pm: Edit

Brown's student body contains more women than men. Dartmouth has had some pretty ugly dramas among its fraternities, which are more central to campus life than Brown's, in recent years.

Dartmouth is in beautiful countryside; Brown is in a small, fun, convenient city. It's a matter of personal preference.

Dartmouth students have the Dartmouth Plan. It's both an opportunity and a requirement originally set up to create dorm space when Dartmouth went coed. You have to want to be up there in the summer one year.

Dartmouth has a business school and a med school. Brown has a small med school. Not sure how either affects campus life.

By Brown_Man (Brown_Man) on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 11:24 am: Edit

"Brown provides a well rounded education"
This may be true. I am no Brown expert, but it seems to me if you want a well rounded education you should go to a school which at least has some requirement to take classes outside your field of study and involve yourself in other cultures (that would be Dartmouth, not Brown). Everything you described exists at Dartmouth. In fact, I'd go a step farther and say that those classes exist at every school in the country.

Thats the nice thing about brown. The school leaves the responsibility to its students in deciding his/her future career. It gives you both freedom and responsibility. Its not an easy task to do!!!

I do understand you 2006Dartmouth. people here should not make hasty generalizations. i dont know much about dartmouth... and im not trying to say that my school is better than yours. However, i have the right to say that if one desires for a very liberal approach to one's education, one should put brown on their list.
Having a well-rounded education actually depends on the person. Brown and dartmouth can both provide a person with a well-rounded education; however, there is a greater degree of freedom at Brown than at Dartmouth because at brown, there are no distribution requirements.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page