Cheap, Liberal, and Diverse?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: September 2003 Archive: Cheap, Liberal, and Diverse?
By Ctrain890 (Ctrain890) on Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 11:42 am: Edit

What's a school that has solid academics, is cheap, liberal, diverse, and mid-sized (5,000-15,000)?

\Thanks

By Cutie314 (Cutie314) on Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 04:57 pm: Edit

what state do u live in? You might find those qualities in your state school.

By Ctrain890 (Ctrain890) on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 10:53 am: Edit

Massachusetts...UMasss doesn't really make the cut :-)

By Plastikcup (Plastikcup) on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 11:41 am: Edit

Cooper Union/NYC

By Nickw28 (Nickw28) on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 01:36 am: Edit

probably anything in California. Theres a bunch of liberals out there.

By Lethalfang (Lethalfang) on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 03:52 am: Edit

... but California public schools aren't mid-sized. If they are mid-sized, they aren't cheap.

By Argilospsychi (Argilospsychi) on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 11:55 pm: Edit

Do you have financial need?

If you do, schools with high tuitions and good need based aid usually turn out to be the cheapest

Some examples are the Ivies, Stanford, Pomona, etc.

Even if you don't think you have need, I advise you to check it out. You may be surprised.
If you have a sibling also in college it doubles your need.

By Muzicgal04 (Muzicgal04) on Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 02:32 pm: Edit

If you're willing to go smaller, look at macalester. cheaper than many east coast schools, gives a lot of fin aid, and gives some merit aid

By Ctmom (Ctmom) on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 08:49 am: Edit

Another smaller school that fits for you might be Clark, in Worcester, MA. They give alot of merit aid and are known for their diverse (albeit 'quirky') student population.

By Argilospsychi (Argilospsychi) on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 04:11 pm: Edit

bump!

By B18c1cx (B18c1cx) on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 06:26 pm: Edit

Rutgers College - 10k students... 9k out of state... that's sick.

By Argilospsychi (Argilospsychi) on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 09:47 pm: Edit

Does anyone know how liberal Tulane is?

By Hsgirl1 (Hsgirl1) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 02:11 am: Edit

Are you sure about Rutgers College...I thought it was a state university, how come 90% are from out-of-state?

By Mazzo (Mazzo) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 11:13 am: Edit

is th 9K referring to tuition cost?????

By Ksolo (Ksolo) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 02:03 pm: Edit

About 90% of Rutgers students are from in-state. While 10% of its students come from out-of-state. I think he just made a simple mistake.

For an in-state student, Rutgers is around $11k. For an out-of-state student, Rutgers costs around $16k to attend.

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 04:38 pm: Edit

Evergreen State University, New College of the U of South Fl, UNC Asheville=any of the North Carolina state schools actually, St Mary's College of Md, U of Fl,, Miami U, College of Charleston, Any Virginia State school==check out James Madison. If you have the SAT cuts, Case Western has automatic tuitions scholarships as does U of Rochester and Richmond college but do not know how liberal they are. Stetson,Hofstra also are generous. Also Arizona state colleges, Alabama state schools, Clemson, Iowa State, Kansas schools, College of NJ and Rutgers, Univ of West Virginia, University of Georgia, all of these schools have sticker prices less that $20000. U Mass Amherst I heard is pretty cool. You can cross register with Hampshire college if things get too conservative there. Your homestate probably has the best tuition deals. Also does Massachusetts have tuition deals with other New England state schools? I thought I heard that they do. If so, Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire have some great state schools.If you are interested in the merchant marines, there are a number of schools that can offer you a real deal to go to one of those schools. Cooper Union is tuition free as is Webb Institute but they are specialty schools. Oh yes, check out York College in Pennsylvania, and Flagler in Florida. Both are private school bargains as is Grove City but Grove City is very conservative. Also some pricier school that temper their tution once you are in with work co-ops are Drexel, Antioch and Northeastern.
Have fun looking

By Sdk7x7 (Sdk7x7) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 08:10 pm: Edit

Every school is liberal. Anti-americanism is well-represented in academia, don't you worry.

-sdk

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 08:54 pm: Edit

Ah--not quite. I kind of believed that until I did the tours. There is very liberal like Oberlin, Bard,Sarah Lawrence, to name a few. Then you get conservative like Washington and Lee, Davidson, Grove City, Then you get the spectrum in between. My kids were fine with the in between but they were not West Point material nor were they ready to go to Evergreen College or College of the Atlantic or Hampshire College. There is a wide span between those extremes and though I never cared much for the Princeton review categories that addressed these things, I have found that at the extremes, they can really make a difference. I know several kids who just couldn't hack the atmosphere at Oberlin though they would tell you that academically it is a very fine school and fulfilled every promise in nurturing a student. Two premeds from Oberlin were the envy of Hopkin premeds. Premeds at Hopkins get kicked in the teeth, Oberlin coddles and encourages them along. But the atmosphere, and political climate wer not what middle of the roaders or even slightly left kids can bear, never mind those with a conservative mindset. And anyone going to W&L had better be aware that this ain't no NYU. Yes, as a rule colleges are liberal, but at the extremes, they can make the norm uncomfortable. They always make the parents uncomfortable

By Cardinal15 (Cardinal15) on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 02:01 am: Edit

Wesleyan University in Connecticut, USA.

I know this school gives really good financial aid, and although it's not that diverse, it's definitely very liberal. Its rather small though; I think the total undergraduate enrollment is 2,000 or so -- I'm really not sure. But the school is worth checking out! It'd also be comfortably close to home if you're in MA.

By Argilospsychi (Argilospsychi) on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 03:13 am: Edit

Sdk --

Liberalism and anti-Americanism are not the same thing.

Think. It's patriotic.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page