From Long Winters to Hot Booties- Dartmouth

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: September 2003 Archive: From Long Winters to Hot Booties- Dartmouth
By Collegeman (Collegeman) on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 12:18 pm: Edit

does anybody have any info or opinions on dartmouth, ranging anywhere from academics to parties? just curious, cuz im interested. thanks.

By Liz (Liz) on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 09:51 pm: Edit

Good academics, particularly in foreign languages like arabic. Lots of snow and skiing. Don't know bout the parties except supposedly everyone drinks a ton (the town Hanover is nicknamed "hangover").

By Bitz (Bitz) on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 02:54 pm: Edit

Dartmouth has the highest number of STDs per student of any college in the U.S (in a study by the National Institute of Health). If you end up there, watch where you "park your car" and "drive safely".

By Logic447 (Logic447) on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 03:19 pm: Edit

Yeah, they even have a T-Shirt that says STD. It stands for Students Together at Dartmouth.

By Collegeman (Collegeman) on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 09:58 am: Edit

god, that's a really bad stat, thanks for tellin me. does anyone have info on this statistic?

By Collegeman (Collegeman) on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 09:46 am: Edit

bump

By Nari (Nari) on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 10:03 am: Edit

wow - i saw dartmouth and even spend a night there with a student i knew....nad honestly i hated it!!! ok, i love cities but still - there is NOTHING around dartmouth except mountains and lakes...
and i didn't like the architecture (also an important thing for me, sorry...*smile*). every building looks different - there is not one only style...
i didn't like it at all. but that's just me personally...other people might love it.
nari

By Collegeman (Collegeman) on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 09:06 pm: Edit

supposedly dartmouth has the worst academic reputation of a highly selective school, is that true?

By Fonzie (Fonzie) on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 10:25 pm: Edit

yes anyone who goes there works @ McDonalds.

By Cmaher (Cmaher) on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 12:57 am: Edit

Fonzie is right, Dartmouth graduates are destined to be working class citizens.

By Pimpdaddy (Pimpdaddy) on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 09:52 pm: Edit

The only people who would ever say dartmouth graduates will be working class citizens are those who are uneducated dolts, unable to go to any top school. Dartmouth may not have the same name as Harvard or Princeton yet anyone can still get a world class education there and move on to greatness. Oh and their business school is ranked number one by the Wall Street Journal (that little publication that knows nothing about finance of course...), above penn AND harvard. So before you imply that dartmouth is a subpar school, you should know what your talking about.

By Pds112 (Pds112) on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 10:35 pm: Edit

I visited Dartmouth while looking at colleges and I loved it. I agree with Pimpdaddy, Dartmouth may not be the best of the best; but it is in the league of the best. No one should ever say that just because the college you go to is bad that you can't rise to greatness. I used to think that and then I realized that there are a lot of people out there who go to no name schools and make lots of money. However, I still believe that the top schools always produce the best kids.
Dartmouth has one of the greatest campuses I've been to. Sure it's in the middle of nowhere, but the campus is beautiful. The town is real cool; there are neat bars and good restaurants. I've heard that it has a bad reputation for good sex and partying. I still have time before college, but Dartmouth sounds fun; you get an Ivy degree for a party!

By Collegeman (Collegeman) on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 07:02 pm: Edit

PMUB

By 2006dartmouth (2006dartmouth) on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 02:03 pm: Edit

first, check out http://www.collegeconfidential.com/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?8/27298.

"STD rate"
After a lil' research I've discovered the root of this rumor. It is probably based on a Dartmouth article three years ago (http://www.dailyillini.com/oct00/oct05/news/campus01.shtml). So consider some actual facts: 1) There is no information here, or anywhere else, about the rates of STD transmission at Dartmouth COMPARED to anywhere else. This article just says "Dartmouth had some STD's". Penn or Harvard could have ten times more STD cases and just not talk about it.
2) This article is three years old. All of the students on campus then will have graduated by the time you get to Dartmouth. There is no reason to believe STD transmission at dartmouth NOW is any higher or lower than any other Ivy.
3) If you think STD's don't exist at other Ivies, you're in for a painful time in college.

I'd like to see this "NIH" study, that is if it actually exists.

As for what Nari said, it is true that Dartmouth is not in a city. if that's very important to you then Dartmouth may be a bad fit. But being outdoors and away from the cities has it's own advantages, and Boston is only a bus-ride away. It's worth doing what Nari did and visiting, to see what life is actually like.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page