College of the Holy Cross

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: September 2003 Archive: College of the Holy Cross
By Kwyjibo86 (Kwyjibo86) on Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 07:16 pm: Edit

i love EVERYTHING about this school except for the fact that it is about 15 minutes from my house, and does not (i think) have a national reputation. So, can anyone tell me if holy cross is known outside the new england area - and if so, what do people think of it?

By B18c1cx (B18c1cx) on Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 08:25 pm: Edit

Holy Cross is wayy over-rated. I hear that a lot too. That could be good though. If you like it, run with it.

It's standards aren't too high. Which gives many people a better shot.

By Kwyjibo86 (Kwyjibo86) on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 07:33 am: Edit

anyone else?

By Musictoad (Musictoad) on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 10:02 pm: Edit

outstanding jesuit school. well known nationally. the problem isn't holy cross. it's the town it's located in. airplane access is a pain. far from boston (90 minutes is far--no matter what anyone says)

By Kwyjibo86 (Kwyjibo86) on Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 09:51 pm: Edit

bump

By Usfpete (Usfpete) on Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 10:56 pm: Edit

1) It is known outside of NE.
2) If you love the school, GO THERE!

By Kwyjibo86 (Kwyjibo86) on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 01:10 pm: Edit

what are some similar schools? what other schools have the same amount of "prestige" (whatever that is) as HC?

By Ksolo (Ksolo) on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 01:56 am: Edit

Notre Dame and Boston College most notably.

By Kewkiekid (Kewkiekid) on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 03:54 am: Edit

i've gotten a zillion mailings from them...so it is known

i'm in california.

By Kwyjibo86 (Kwyjibo86) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 08:46 pm: Edit

bump...

By Ksolo (Ksolo) on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 11:52 pm: Edit

What do you people mean by "bump?" I've been racking my brain trying to figure that one out for quite some time.

By Kwyjibo86 (Kwyjibo86) on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 04:00 pm: Edit

Bring Up My Post... or something like that.
getting back to my question...

By Ksolo (Ksolo) on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 12:41 am: Edit

Well, to answer your question: Holy Cross does have a national reputation, and it's a prestigious institution. Academically, it's very competitive. This school is known to humble the brightest of students.

There are a lot advantages for you to attend Holy Cross. The disadvantage is that you won't get the experience of living in another state.

By Kwyjibo86 (Kwyjibo86) on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 10:08 am: Edit

ksolo, are you a HC grad?

By Ksolo (Ksolo) on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 11:06 am: Edit

Yes.

By Kwyjibo86 (Kwyjibo86) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 09:12 pm: Edit

any regrets?

By Ksolo (Ksolo) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 12:48 am: Edit

No regrets. Holy Cross gave me a great education, plus, since the school was small, and many students take for granted the available resources, I really got to take advantage of certain things that I could've never done anywhere else. I learned more about myself, and I also got to get my feet in the door for one of my lifelong dreams. Had I went anywhere else, I would be so much less successful.

The only negative sometimes was the social scene. It's up and down. Great friendships tend to be made though.

By Kwyjibo86 (Kwyjibo86) on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 05:32 pm: Edit

ha! yeah the social scene. For most of my life i have lived in the worcester suburbs, so i know where you're coming from. although i don't usually spent time actually IN the "city". what do people do for fun - what did YOU do for fun? i hope it's not too much of a party school...

it's got a good bio and pre-med program, right? i think i will apply to the bio program (i hear it's pretty competitive).

any thoughts?

By Ksolo (Ksolo) on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 12:11 am: Edit

When it comes to fun, this usually happens on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights. What a lot of students do for fun usually is partying off-campus, at one of the off-campus apartments held by upperclassmen. The parties are just students socializing and of course, drinking. Getting drunk is big up there when it comes weekend time. But dont think HC is a party school, as it is the opposite. Professors LOVE to bombard students with lots of work, and its only on the weekend nights that students have a chance to release some of that stress.

For me, sometimes I went off-campus and had fun. Most of the times, it wasn't fun for me because it wasnt really my type of scene. But I did make quite a bit of friends through going to off-campus parties. My fun was hanging with friends, or doing hobbies that I loved.

The Biology program is excellent and very competitive. The pre-med program is not as competitive to enter, but it's a DIFFICULT program to endure because the courses are quite rigorous. Courses like Chemistry, Biology, and the Pre-Med program itself, are arguably the most difficult programs at Holy Cross. So be prepared to really work your butt off. If Bio is what you want to do and you like it, apply.

By Kwyjibo86 (Kwyjibo86) on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 06:56 am: Edit

ok, thanks.
i'm just curious - to what other colleges did you apply as an undergrad? and what was your major at hc?
i'm not afraid of the work - that's why i was interested in HC in the first place. i can deal with the drinking (though it's not my thing), as long as HC is not a party school.

By Ksolo (Ksolo) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 01:58 am: Edit

I applied to a number of schools, some of which I can't even remember. I had a waiver, so I could apply to any number of institutions I wanted. But from what I can recall, I applied to: Georgetown, UPENN, University of Michigan, Rutgers University (safety), Seton Hall University (safety), and College of the Holy Cross.

I majored in Studio Art, with a concentration in Computer Science. For my first two years though, I was pre-med. Being pre-med sucked for me. It was sooooo difficult. When I left premed though, I found out that there wasnt a single class at HC that is easy! So the difficulty was still there. But at least I was in a major that I liked more, and was much more naturally gifted/talented at.

That's good you're not afraid of the work. Just know that it will definitely stress you out at times. The workload is no joke. Professors expect a lot, sometimes way too much. Seriously, they think that their class is your only class! Great education in the end though. When I look back, I can say that I don't even regret doing all the massive loads of work they dished out to us.

By Freak4korn72 (Freak4korn72) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 04:41 pm: Edit

My friend goes to Holy Cross. She really enjoys it. If its 15 min from your house, couldnt you just commute and save $7ish a year and being in-state you probably can get more scholarships. If you really like the school, you should go.

By Kwyjibo86 (Kwyjibo86) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 06:51 pm: Edit

why such a high acceptance rate? 43% RD, 68% ED.
is it the location, or lack of... what?

By Ksolo (Ksolo) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 11:55 pm: Edit

Holy Cross doesn't receive a huge number of applicants, and that has a lot to do with the acceptance rate. But don't be fooled by the 43% stat, as the school has pretty competitive admissions.

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 12:09 pm: Edit

Holy Cross is an excellent school. I put it on the level of Colgate, Hamilton, Bates, Macalester, Bucknell, Haverford. It is considered the best LAC of the Catholic colleges.
One of the reasons that it does not get that many aps is because it is a LAC and kids these days tend to want the larger universities. BC for instance is enjoying a heyday and academically, I believe most of the academic peers would rank HolyCross higher. The other reason is the name. It is a catholic school and the name screams it. A lot of kids just don't want to go to a schoolwith a name like Sacred Heart or anything overtly religious. Foolish reason. Now Notre Dame has transcended that problem. If you like the school, certainly apply. Look at a few others as well and make the decision when all your options are in.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page