The "What if" questions about Colleges

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: May 2003 Archive: The "What if" questions about Colleges
By Prettynail (Prettynail) on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 08:59 pm: Edit

Have you ever send in your confirmation to a particular school and think to yourself what if i send in my SIR to another school- would i be a different person. Will i succeed better in this school or will i be miserable for fours years? Have you ever had to choose between two schools like UCLA and UCSD that are very close in ranks and research? Well, i just want to know the opinon of the people on this board.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 09:10 pm: Edit

Don't worry so much! Trust your first instinct and don't try to second guess yourself. Life is all about making choices and then going forward. There's a condition called "buyers remorse" that occurs when someone makes a big ticket purchase like a car or a house. Even though the person chose that car or house because they knew it was the best choice at the time, they start doubting their decision with "what if" questions. If you let "buyer's remorse" consume you, you'll be unable to enjoy what lies ahead. I've found in life that it doesn't pay to look back once you've committed to a path - every path will take you somewhere interesting.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 09:12 pm: Edit

Another thought: very few decisions are irreversible. You can always transfer if you're not happy where you're going. I did when I was in college and it worked out fine. (I actually ended up at a school I'd never thought about when I was in high school). So, again, don't worry. Just look forward to the path you're already on.

By Dream5 (Dream5) on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 09:44 pm: Edit

well said, Carolyn!!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page