Difficult in choosing Cal Poly SLO and UCLA

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: May 2003 Archive: Difficult in choosing Cal Poly SLO and UCLA
By Hteinlin (Hteinlin) on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 05:39 pm: Edit

Please me choose beteen Cal Poly SLO and UCLA for computer engineering major. Which school is better for getting a job after graduation?

By Crackcorn (Crackcorn) on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 06:26 pm: Edit

Wow, that's a tough question the way you've framed it. 5 years ago at the height of Silicon Valley's prosperity, Cal Poly probably had an edge. Today, I don't know. I'd probably choose UCLA over Cal Poly just because it has a worldwide rep. But getting a job after graduation from UCLA may be tougher because you may be fairly anonymous there, while at Cal Poly you'd be more plugged into the local industry thanks to Cal Poly's "learn by doing" philosphy.

By Vballcourt (Vballcourt) on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 06:58 pm: Edit

Shouldn't you have decided by now? I think Cal Poly might be better at getting a job after graduation. There smaller and you might get more experience. I toured there and they said that they have a high percentage of graduates go into related fields. But then again they probably wouldn't say anything bad about themselves, so maybe there just bluffing...But UCLA has a good reputation....

By Hteinlin (Hteinlin) on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 07:39 pm: Edit

Thanks for all of your advice. I am a transfer student from san francisco community college. I already did my SIR for Cal Poly over UCSD. But after I got into UCLA, I leaned towards UCLA. The deadline for UCLA SIR is June 1. On my second thought I want to get an advantage for today tough high-tech job market, not just academically. I have about one week to to choose.

By Crackcorn (Crackcorn) on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 05:54 pm: Edit

Since you seem to have some roots in Northern California, I'd say go with Cal Poly if that's where you'd like to work.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page