(Premed Info...) can't access the premed site so i'll just

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: May 2003 Archive: (Premed Info...) can't access the premed site so i'll just
By Namelesscoward (Namelesscoward) on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 11:39 pm: Edit

Hey, I can't access the premed site so i'll just post here...

My question is... For an end goal of medical school, does it really matter where I go to college... I mean, it seems to me, it doesn't really matter (though maybe it would help a little bit from a prestigious university) if I go to a more prestigious unversity or to a regular state university... the two most important things are GPA and MCAT score... followed by help from other characteristics/activities...

I mean, can someone provide me with some insight? Cause, I'm the kind of a person who overly researches everything, and doesn't draw much from experience... so people with experience and good advise post here... :-)

By Tuannguyen (Tuannguyen) on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 11:52 pm: Edit

I was just on the pre-med/med forum, so how come you can't access it?

Anyways, from what i've seen in the pre-med forum, it doesn't really matter what college you go to. After you've become a doctor, the only things that still matter is the med school and residency.

But you shouldn't be going to an overly easy college either, some graduate schools might think "oh the guy has a high GPA, the college is easy, so w/e, NEXT". Some reputation in training pre-meds would be nice, so don't go to a school just because it's easy. Some schools like Cornell, MIT, Caltech, or Hopkins have very competitive pre-med-like programs; you will end up way more prepared than most other students who will enter med school, but the grade deflation will make it harder for you to get into med school in the first place.

Choose your school well my friend. Do more research, you can NEVER over-research anything.

Oh, and med schools don't give preference. If you go to Hopkins for college, it won't help you too much for entering their med program. Kids from Harvard, Cornell, Caltech etc still have just as good chances of getting in. I don't even think it would even be a tie breaker.

By Namelesscoward (Namelesscoward) on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 12:20 am: Edit

Well, i wouldn't plan to go to a super easy college... I'm actually from texas, so the big public universities i would be looking at something like university of texas or a&m... Would u consider those to be overly easy?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page