Life in Cleveland

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: May 2003 Archive: Life in Cleveland
By Grandeur (Grandeur) on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 04:52 pm: Edit

Hi

how's life in cleveland city? specially for an international student. how about sports and some adventure stuff?

By Crazyandy (Crazyandy) on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 08:35 pm: Edit

Hi there! I live in northeast ohio about an hour away from downtown cleveland. The city is pretty nice. you can basically shop all day at tower city ... catch a Cleveland Indians game in the spring/summer and a Browns game in the fall/early winter. The indians are just an "ok" team they were great a few years ago but are undergoing some "rebuilding" lol. The browns are definately a contender now!! Our basketball team, the caveliers, well, lets just say they are pathetic. If they get Lebron James here comes the media! If you like hockey, we have the Lumberjacks. You can party in the flats on the westside of town. We have 6 Flags, which is an awesome amusement park. Maybe you wanna do some biking in the metroparks or go sailing in the summer. In other words, you can basically do it all in cleveland. The weather isnt too bad in the summer but kinda cloudy and cold in the winter. Maybe someone else on the boards from Cleveland could give you a better feel for the city. Hope this helps!

By Crazyandy (Crazyandy) on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 08:36 pm: Edit

ps i hope this is the cleveland your talking about ... if not, sorry!!

By Grandeur (Grandeur) on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 10:40 am: Edit

hey crazy
that's one........am about to come to cleveland for a graduate study at Cleveland State University. so was just getting a feel of the place. btw how far is the lake from CSUOhio? i read that there are some good beaches(i think here beach is the shore of the lake and not any sea, right?). how are the beaches then?

By Crazyandy (Crazyandy) on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 09:07 pm: Edit

I'm not exactly sure how close CSU is to the shore. My guess is its no more than 3 miles away, so on a warm day you can take a nice short walk. Downtown doesn't really have many beaches. You're going to have to go a little west of town towards Lorain (about 10-15 miles) or northeast to Geneva-on-the-Lake (not sure exactly how far away but its not too far). in those 2 spots the beaches are great! I don't really go to the lake often though. Cleveland isn't close to the ocean at all. Lake Erie (the lake CLE borders) is freshwater, which is nice cuz i'm not a fan of salt water. If you have any other questions e-mail me at crazy04andy@aol.com if you want or just keep posting! I'll be checking back often!

By Crazyandy (Crazyandy) on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 09:07 pm: Edit

by the way, where are you from?

By Grandeur (Grandeur) on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 12:06 pm: Edit

hi andy

am from india. and if everything runs well will drop in cleveland in a matter of months.

bye
-ABC

By Batman (Batman) on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 09:30 pm: Edit

Cleveland is an up and coming city but is still somewhat of a hard luck kinda town. It has a lot of positive things going for it like Crazy mentioned, but it also has a lot of problems. it's a very segregated city and I don't think minorities enjoy the same opportunities in Cleveland as they do in other cities. That's because Cleveland is still basically a blue collar city and a lot of people there still rely on old stereotypes. Also, the climate is not that great most of the year and the downtown area near Cleveland state basically shuts down at 5pm. I think you should also be concerned about safety in that area. I'm not suggesting you need to fear for your life every time you walk outside, but just remember that you will be in an urban area so you'll need to be careful.

On the upside, you will actually be quite close to Lake Erie, the new sports stadiums, some fantastic museums (both downtown and in the University Circle area, which is by Case Western Reserve not too far away). Public transportation is decent. Cleveland is also be a good place if you enjoy the performing arts and concerts. Basically, there's plenty to do if you look for it. The beaches in the area leave a lot to be desired in my opinion, but you will be in a Northern city after all, so be realistic in your expectations. There are some very good restaurants around town and a few good night spots, especially in the area known as the Flats which runs along the river downtown (but like I said, be careful, there have been several assaults down there over the years).

Unfortunately, Cleveland State is mostly a very large, mostly commuter school instead of a residential campus, so you'll really need to be outgoing to meet people.

Overall, it'll be what you make of it, but I don't think it's the easiest place you could have picked to go to college in terms of the overall experience. Nonetheless, I do hope you have a good time and enjoy it. Cleveland is not a bad town at all, just a little rough around the edges.

However, on the upside

By Grandeur (Grandeur) on Friday, May 23, 2003 - 11:14 am: Edit

hi

Batman,
ya sounds a bit worrying...but not discouraging. haven't decided yet about my coming.
btw what do you say about the Graduate Study standard at CSUOhio? specially for Computer Engneering.

bye

-ABC

By Batman (Batman) on Friday, May 23, 2003 - 09:10 pm: Edit

I honestly don't know much about the CS Grad program so I can't help you there. If you have any other questions though I'll be glad to offer an opinion.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page