Early Decision Question (Amherst, Williams...)

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: May 2003 Archive: Early Decision Question (Amherst, Williams...)
By Milano248 (Milano248) on Sunday, May 11, 2003 - 08:08 pm: Edit

Between Amherst, Williams, and Swarthmore are there any big comparative differences in applying early. There is one list from 1997 that gauges your chances ed/rd, but is that accurate. At which school does one have the best chances of getting into early and are the student bodies altogether different...?

By Morgantruce (Morgantruce) on Sunday, May 11, 2003 - 10:30 pm: Edit

That type of information is available for each college by state at the College Board

By Pennquaker13 (Pennquaker13) on Sunday, May 11, 2003 - 10:34 pm: Edit

I honestly don't know how you could find all three of those schools appealing. The differences between those three schools are HUGE. The only reason why I think you're interested in those schools are because they're top 3 in the country according to US News, and that's no way to go about the college process. Forget about rankings and statistics, and actually go visit these schools and find out which one's right for you and apply to that school early. Picking a school by ranking is a surefire way to ensure four years of unhappiness.

By Dream5 (Dream5) on Sunday, May 11, 2003 - 11:21 pm: Edit

Easy, Penn.

Those are top 3 liberal arts colleges in the country.

By Pennquaker13 (Pennquaker13) on Sunday, May 11, 2003 - 11:42 pm: Edit

I realize that they are the top 3 liberal arts colleges in the country. That was EXACTLY my point. I was saying that nobody could possibly find all three of those schools appealing, because they are so different, and that only a person concerned with their ranking would even consider applying to all three. Learn how to read more carefully, Dream.

By Dream5 (Dream5) on Sunday, May 11, 2003 - 11:51 pm: Edit

Thanks Penn. That is so sweet of you.

By Susu (Susu) on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 02:12 pm: Edit

Dear Penn,
Milano is looking for first-person, eyewitness input on these schools. We can't all afford to personally visit every possibility. If you have experience with any of the three, I'm sure Milano and I would both appreciate it. If not, advising us to do more research is not helpful. This IS research, right here. /clipart{happy}

By Chasgoose (Chasgoose) on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 01:17 am: Edit

I don't think that it is that strange that someone would be at least looking at all three of those schools. If they had (wisely) decided that a liberal arts college was what they wanted to go to it would not be that strange to be looking at all three of those schools. They aren't that different. It would be more telling that Milano wos just going for rankings if, in addition to Amherst, Williams, and Swarthmore, he was also looking at UPenn, Harvard, and Cornell, which don't provide nearly the same level of undergraduate attention and quality of education that the LAC's do. Schools like those are where people who just care about rankings go.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page