Uci or ucsd

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: May 2003 Archive: Uci or ucsd
By Himdue (Himdue) on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 04:18 am: Edit

I'm a cs major and I live in Buena Park area.
I can't decide between ucsd and uci. Which has the better cs program. I kinda like uci cause its close, but I hear that SD is a better ranked school and has a good cs program too. Any insight on which is better?
Or is it just a toss up?

By Mzinn (Mzinn) on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 06:11 pm: Edit

UCI is the only UC with a seperate department and faculty for CS. Irvine has also become a "mini silicone valley" in recent years.

If you plan on working in the Orange County area after you graduate... you'll probably be better off going to UCI (making connections, etc). But you should also consider atmosphere: Irvine vs. La Jolla.

are you a transfer student?

By Himdue (Himdue) on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 09:27 pm: Edit

Thanks for the reply. Yea I am a transfer student. I heard that the UCI program is better, but in terms of prestige UCSD seems to have the upper hand.

What I gather is the atmosphere in La Jolla is dead. I know a friend that goes there and he said that its very quiet.

So UCI has a better cs program?
my main priorities are education,campus atmosphere, distance.

By Crackcorn (Crackcorn) on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 09:53 pm: Edit

Dead compared to where? Compared to UCSB? Absolutely. Compared to UCI? I doubt it!

By Brd (Brd) on Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 12:22 am: Edit

La Jolla and San Diego in general are beautiful. You can literally walk to the ocean from the UCSD campus.

I don't know specifics about the two programs, but UCSD evidently had enough draw that NSCA located a top-tier national supercomputing facility there. Really though, you probably can't go wrong with either one.

By Moreau1985 (Moreau1985) on Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 02:17 am: Edit

Irvine California, five minutes away from Newport Beach, the best beach in California, in my opinion. By far the greatest surf and most fun. Balboa is a hella cool town, anyways, just my 2 cents for all you La Jolla lovers. I've spent many summers down there.

By Crackcorn (Crackcorn) on Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 10:13 am: Edit

Irvine is a 5 to 10 minute DRIVE from Newport Beach (depending on traffic). UCSD is a 5 to 10 minute WALK from La Jolla Beach.

By Troy (Troy) on Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 12:31 pm: Edit

La Jolla is a quiet area but if you want to kick the social life up a notch you can always go to PB, Gaslamp, and even SDSU. Plus, black's is a 2 min. drive from campus (if you're into surfing).

Why is distance an issue? Do you plan on commuting to class?

By Himdue (Himdue) on Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 02:27 pm: Edit

Irvine is like 30-40 min away from my house. My dad saids that I should just commute if I go to Irvine. Thats gonna save a lot of money since I wouldn't need a apt. I know a friend that goes to SD so I could stay with him thou.
Thanks for the advice, but the funny this is I asked the guy at sd how often he goes to the beach and he was like rarely. It could be just him thou.

In terms of education I guess its comparable (computer science). I'm gonna try to drive down there and see for myself. I was gonna try to just decide without going all the way to sd, but I think I'll regret it later.

note: some guy that goes to ucr told me he's been to sd. He saids there are sd is more boring than riverside. I guess all the uc's except berkeley don't really have that college experience, cause everyone just commutes or leaves campus asap.

By Lethalfang (Lethalfang) on Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 02:36 pm: Edit

UCLA is a residential campus, I think.
More boring than Riverside? I can't imagine!

By Thedad (Thedad) on Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 07:26 pm: Edit

I understand economic necessity...been there, excruciatingly so. But living at home you miss out on a lot of the total college experience and I don't mean parties.

By Crackcorn (Crackcorn) on Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 09:19 pm: Edit

UCLA is NOT a "residential campus". It probably has more commuter students than any other UC.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 12:59 am: Edit

Otoh, it has more residential students than a lot of campuses. And a lot of "commuters" don't live at home but in apartments within a two mile radius...many within biking/walking distance.
It's a very large school.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page