Trinity College

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: May 2003 Archive: Trinity College
By Bebeblue (Bebeblue) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 03:29 pm: Edit

I have sent the deposit to Trinity College without knowing not much about it. I did not have many choices since I applied to too many reach schools and got denied from everywhere, and I chose Trinity over a few colleges that are said to be academically on the same level because I heard it was small and it is the closest from where I live. However, I would really like to gather any information that you might like to share, especially the kind of information that their booklets don't share. I read in a Princeton Review book about the college and the college was portrayed as basically a WASP-y, preppy college with not much diverse, which would play an important factor for me to dislike the college if it is true. Please share anything you know abou the college, the good and the bad. Thank you very much!

By Bjturlington (Bjturlington) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 08:52 am: Edit

Actually,

Trinity College is an awesome school. I'd say 30/30/40 splits with regard to conservative/liberal/moderate students. It has few core requirements, just 1 class in 5 areas, some awesome teachers, lots of independent study opportunities as well as internships and research opps.

As for being WASP-y and preppie...most kids are open to discussion and they do seem to be dressed by L.L. Bean...but they are open to new ideas and are good at debate. They are more concerned with how your ideas are formed rather than how you dress. I've had tons of friends go there and hae visitied often. Trinity's food in Mather Dinning is better than most....the 'Cave' is awesome for greasy food-stuffs late at night, and the 'Bistro' in back of admissions is good for a study date.

I also like that some of the sports are played near the 'Quad'...I've enjoyed sitting on the side of the hill near the Chapel to watch people play different sports, football, field hockey, soccer, etc...

Although Trinity is an Ivy safety...people are bright and outgoing. Yes, they do party some, but their mix of study and play are a better cmpromise than alot of other schools. If you are not into the party scene, then TCAC brings in bands and comedians to keep you entertained. Also, there are dances at least every-other weekend, and paticipation in intramurals as well as collegiate sports is high. The Crew Team (men and women) are a favorite of mine.

I have to say that at Trinity, I've also met many confident women who have often debated and left me breathless. Props to them. The enviornment is very much like other East Coast schools is some ways (i.e. preppy dress) but open in a way that makes you want to debate...I especially think that their program of reading J. Mill during the summer and discussing it with others in your small seminar class durin orientation is kewl. Trinity does surprize you in many ways.

I've sat in on many classes and they are usually peppy and interesting. I especially liked Dirk Kyrk's classes in English Lit., as well as their economics classes. The biggest class I ever sat in on was intro Bio...75 people, but the lab sections have like 14 people (way awesome).

Trinity is underated by many people...I'd say just to dive in and meet new people during orientation...also remember that they hve great grad school placement.

Hope this helps.
Rob. :)

By Anotherdad (Anotherdad) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 12:37 pm: Edit

We went to the Trinity orientation and were impressed. Ultimately, the kid went elsewhere, but some thoughts.

The staff said repeatedly that it is the old style New England elite liberal arts college, with all of the advantages that can bring. Pretty campus, close contact with professors – both in class and in study groups, etc., frats and sororities, rather upper-crust student body that will like to go on ski trips, shopping in the big city, or out on the boat, and history and gothic buildings, etc..

It is considered a “Little Ivy”, which means that like the big ivies they don’t give out merit scholarships -- I think that is a problem since they need to do more to attract top students because the name is not as big as others'.

Everything I have heard about the school is positive, except that people don’t like Hartford that much. A colleage from near there says that it is a very good warm campus where you will make life-long friends. The supportive atmosphere there would seem to be a big positive for the school – it seems like the type of place where students can work and play with each other and be involved in common activities. And all activities would be open – you get to be in the play instead of watching one.

The student body will be well-heeled, but not very diverse. Most will have enough money and interest to travel and shop. During the orientation, adm said that the students were talented, but they were perhaps not as competitive as at other similar schools. This might be reflected in the lower SATs of the student body (which are high from a national perspective, but not really high like in some competitors). Perhaps it is easier to coast or it is a school where smart but not as dedicated students go.

We toured the chemistry facility and saw excellent facilities and were impressed with the staff, who probably really want talented kids with whom to work. Similarly, the math department said that they had $lots to support applied math projects with students and they were looking for top students. So there are probably good opportunities for close, high-caliber interaction with professors -- which is why you should choose a liberal arts college.

Where there might be somewhat less of an opportunity is that Trinity graduates might have to work harder to impress graduate school admissions people. It might not open as many doors as coming from the big name schools.

And they have an awesome literary bookstore. In summary, I liked Trinity a lot and it could be a great school for those seeking the traditional college campus experience.

By Bebeblue (Bebeblue) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 10:31 pm: Edit

Thank you for your reply. I am a bit worried about "old style New England elite liberal art college" since it sounds a bit too much like my old prep high school, only half an hour from Trinity. It also emphasized being old style New England elite prep school too and I hated it there. But other than that, it doesn't sound too bad. I am going to try to like it, and if I don't then I can always transfer. Thank you for sharing.

By Anotherdad (Anotherdad) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 11:36 pm: Edit

Having definitely not come from a prep school background, perhaps I am too easily impressed by the crusty old New England aura, but I did like Trinity. It is possible that it has not moved with the times as fast as it should, but the adm seemed to recognize that it needed to change.

By Bjturlington (Bjturlington) on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 02:17 am: Edit

Hmmm...

I go to an old style prep school, and the kids here are more prep and more conservative than at Trinity in general.

As for scores...Trinity's SAT usually are very consistent, and at least at my prep school has a prestigious reputation. I seriously considered Trinity but ultimately desided that I had too many friends there. I wanted to do my own thing.

Trinity is not as stuffy as Williams with respect to dress...in fact, the onl thing you really need to succeed at Trinity is to be open-minded.

Also, it is more diverse than some othr campuses by %. Better than Bowdoin, Colby, Bates, Hamiltn, Colgate, etc...

Just my $.02
Rob.

By Anotherdad (Anotherdad) on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 02:48 pm: Edit

Your 2 cents pushed Trinity up a bit more in my estimation. Thanks.

By Bjturlington (Bjturlington) on Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 06:11 am: Edit

That's great to hear; Trinity is a great school that has been overlooked by som becau it is percieved as conservative...but it is more moderate and balanced even the liberals and conservatives are not as extreme as at othr campuses...no shout downs when a controversial speaker comes to lecture, just awesome and probbing questions by the students. And it has always been in the top-25 of NLACs (according to USNews), a bit under-rated if you ask me. :)

By Rhino (Rhino) on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 06:51 pm: Edit

trinity is wonderful and, for someone I know who is there now, it is a college that has enabled my friend to develop amazingly as an academic, an athelete, and as a whole person. Wow, this is a wonderful college.

A lot will depend upon your attitude, bbb. If you enter next year already having decided to be depressed, then alright, transfer. But you will be missing a wonderful, life-changing college. Trinity is superb and the Rome campus for Jr year is AMAZING, with great profs. A great college.

By O71394658 (O71394658) on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 07:24 pm: Edit

Trinity, like colleges like Boston College and Villanova, is a classic "Ivy League Reject" school. It's a great school, and is primarily populated by those who couldn't get into the Ivies.

By Njjunior (Njjunior) on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 10:35 pm: Edit

I visited Trinity about a month ago and absolutely loved it. I think it is going to be my first choice. As for whether or not it is WASP-y, I am Jewish and did not feel like I would feel out of place, yet I am also fairly conservative. Wonderful campus though.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page