USC for electrical engineering?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: May 2003 Archive: USC for electrical engineering?
By Mr_Park (Mr_Park) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 11:03 pm: Edit

Hi all. I would like to know anything about USC's electrical engineering program, and if I should attend. I also have choices from Virginia Tech - electrical engineering
Purdue - electrical engineering technology

waiting on......
Umich-AnnArbor - Industrial engineering
GaTech - Industrial engineering

I want to be an electrical engineer, but if you all have ANY insight on my choice, pleeeeease help me. I would love to go to LA. I really want to know a lot about USC. Thanks.

By Mr_Park (Mr_Park) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 10:58 pm: Edit

anyone? pleaase?.......

By Phpguru (Phpguru) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 11:25 pm: Edit

Purdue without a second thought.
I was up between USC and UCSB and chose SB. Everyone I've talked to said I made the right decision. USC EE isn't too hot.

-guru

By Mr_Park (Mr_Park) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 03:02 pm: Edit

THanks for the reply phpquru, but I'm having second thoughts on purdue because it isn't electrical engineering, it's electrical engineering TECHNOLOGY. I heard that's different. I was wondering if you have any insight on that. THanks

By Cru (Cru) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 10:02 pm: Edit

What happened?
Did you apply to Purdue under that major?
Cause that sounds a little stupid

By Cru (Cru) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 10:02 pm: Edit

What happened?
Did you apply to Purdue under that major?
Cause that sounds a little stupid

By Phpguru (Phpguru) on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 12:59 am: Edit

You probably could switch. I would try that rather than going to USC.

phpguru

By Chiangkaishrek (Chiangkaishrek) on Sunday, May 11, 2003 - 04:50 am: Edit

Mr. Park:

Guru doesn't know what he's talking about.

I have responded to your other posts regarding USC's engineering program.

I believe you are asking about the grad program at USC right? Well, the engineering program for grad students is excellent. First of all, USC's engineering program is ranked 8th.

I think it's overrated, but the facilities are great. Why shiver your a$$ at Purdue when you can enjoy the sunny weather in Los ANgeles.

But to be frank, I really hate Los ANgeles. I went to school at USC, but not for engineering. USC's main strengths are film, music, and business.
Just FYI.

By Phpguru (Phpguru) on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 12:05 am: Edit

I agree that USC Graduate school in engineering is top notch but undergraduate engineering isn't ranked anywhere near its grad school (since you brought up rankings).

phpguru

By Chiangkaishrek (Chiangkaishrek) on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 04:55 am: Edit

Sorry php..didn't mean to sound sarcastic toward you.

But true...USC's engineering program is not strong...well...undergraduate-wise.

By Scengineer (Scengineer) on Tuesday, July 29, 2003 - 06:46 am: Edit

I don't understand the comments about SC's undergrad engineering program not being strong. That's just wrong for a couple of reasons.

1) Undergraduate engineering programs aren't ranked anywhere. Generally speaking there are no rankings for undergraduate programs. Colleges get ranked as a whole and graduate schools get ranked separately. So I'm not sure how anyone would come to the conclusion that it's not that strong. What could that possibly be based on? If you're basing it on the ranking of the college as a whole SC, contrary to popular bias, is ranked extremely high and look for a significant jump in the upcoming US news rankings for 2004.

2) SC engineering is strong across the board. Whenever you're looking at a specialty major (i.e., majors outside of the letters, arts, and sciences or humanities) and the graduate school is strong you can make a safe bet that the undergraduate program is strong as well. Why, because at a school like SC you're going to get many of the same professors and the input of some of the top grad students in the country.

SC is a top 10 school in engineering, hands down. I know that SC bashing is popular for some odd reason but there's no questioning that if you go into engineering at SC you've made a good decision. I couldn't imagine choosing Purdue or UCSB over SC, that seems odd. I can imagine only a handful of schools that might be better. If you want to stay on for graduate studies you'll definately want to apply to SC no matter where you've done your undergrad so being in LA already will be an advantage.

I did computer engineering and computer science which is in the EE department. Trust me, it is daunting. The course load is rigorous and the academic environment challenging. But if you want to be an engineer that's the type of place you go to.

By Kxk811 (Kxk811) on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 02:55 pm: Edit

SC EE versus Purdue EE Tech? No doubt, you should go with USC. Electrical Engineering Technology is way different from regular EE. Its basically a degree for people who want to become electricians. Why waste your time and money? And then there's location. I've lived in California (San Francisco Bay Area) and live in Indianapolis right now. There's no comparision. Indy sucks.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page