UCLA OR UCSD?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: May 2003 Archive: UCLA OR UCSD?
By Prettynail (Prettynail) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 04:08 pm: Edit

I been to both school on tours and my major is BIOCHEMISTRY. Which probably going to change anyway but which schools to pick. I need to know the PRos and COns of each school. I know UCLA Is way over populated and UCSD does not have a sense of unity. Also, if you can tell me a link where i can read from student prespective of their schools. -THANKS

By Lethalfang (Lethalfang) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 06:50 pm: Edit

Biochemistry is one of the best departments in UCSD, definitely on par with UCLA if not better, but UCLA is regarded a better school overall.
One of my friends who is going to graduate school in biochemistry, he got accepted to Princeton, Johns Hopkins, UCLA, but rejected by UCSD.

By Crackcorn (Crackcorn) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 10:11 pm: Edit

I got accepted by UCSD, UCLA and Johns Hopkins. I'm going to UCSD.

By Pasific (Pasific) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 01:20 am: Edit

Why would you go to UCSD when you got into John Hopkins??

By Lethalfang (Lethalfang) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 02:22 am: Edit

Because the life science departments at UCSD is right up there with Johns Hopkins.

By Crackcorn (Crackcorn) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 09:48 pm: Edit

Because Johns Hopkins is in Baltimore while UCSD is in La Jolla where you can walk from your dorm to one of the most beautiful beaches in Southern California for swim, surf and scuba.

Because Johns Hopkins costs $40,000 per year while UCSD costs $16,000. Even after financial aid, JHU would still be twice as expensive for me.

Because even though JHU is better academically UCSD is good enough that no grad school is going to reject me just because my good grades came from UCSD instead of Johns Hopkins.

Because the aging dorms at Johns Hopkins are like depressing little prison cells while the dorms at UCSD are much newer and roomier with big windows. Some even have ocean views!

That's not to say that it was an easy choice. The people at Johns Hopkins were great. If I could pluck JHU out of Baltimore and set it down anywhere in California, that probably would have tipped the scales. But the thought of spending the next 4 years in Baltimore was unappealing - to put it mildly.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page