Berkeley 2007!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: May 2003 Archive: Berkeley 2007!
By Mzinn (Mzinn) on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 09:51 pm: Edit

i finally made the decision... so where are all my fellow Berkeleyans? What are you guys majoring in?

Does anyone know if Berkeley allows you to choose your roomate? Anyone know any cool places around Berkeley?

By Lethalfang (Lethalfang) on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 10:02 pm: Edit

I'm sure if two people agree to be roommates, they will be able to arrange it for you.
About cool places.... watch some football, and watch some basketball. Cal basketball is on the verge of being a big-time program, and Cal football is on the rise with the new coach who turned around the program big time. Hass Pavilion is probably the best basketball venue in Pac-10, and one of the best in the country. Memorial stadium is old, but the view is great during a football game. You can see the Golden Gate Bridge and everything.

By Mzinn (Mzinn) on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 10:04 pm: Edit

awesome. hey, you seem to know alot about life/academics at Berkeley... (edit: obviously since you go there) any advice for a Cal Freshman?

By Lethalfang (Lethalfang) on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 10:59 pm: Edit

Be focused from day one. That is the hardest thing to do.
Many freshman (myself included when I was one) are too happy in their first semester. They spend hours chatting w/ frinds, talking on the phone (for girls) with high school friends, party a bit too much, go out at night a bit too much, basically doing all the things they will regret after the 4th or 5th week. By then they will have their 1st ever exam in college and totally bomb it.
Oh, when midterms come, they come in bunches. If you don't study enough, you'll bomb so many exams in such a short period of time, it'll put "shock-and-awe" to the level of high schoolers.

By Mzinn (Mzinn) on Thursday, May 01, 2003 - 02:04 am: Edit

lol, shock and awe. just sent in my SIR today. oh yeah... I'm thinking about taking 3 classes my first semester, do you think that's reasonable? I know it's probably a light load, but I already have alot of credits (AP, JC) and I'll be taking 1 more JC class this summer. Is it common for freshmen to take 3 classes the first semester?

btw, thanks for the advice. Most students I ask are just like "umm yeah... study hard."

By Lethalfang (Lethalfang) on Thursday, May 01, 2003 - 02:29 am: Edit

You don't necessarily need to study your butt off the first year, but stay focused. Too often freshmen just completely forgot to study and that's how they get their asses kicked in first year.
It is common for freshmen to take only 3 classes, but then again, some freshmen (like me) took 3 really tough classes and still managed to screw up.
Those AP credits usually are just credits, they don't satisfy many, if any, major or graduation requirements.

By Mzinn (Mzinn) on Thursday, May 01, 2003 - 03:03 am: Edit

what do you know about the residence halls? it says Unit 1 is a "subtance free environment".. what does that mean?

Are there any significant differences between units 1 and 2?

By Lethalfang (Lethalfang) on Thursday, May 01, 2003 - 03:10 am: Edit

Foothill is significantly better, all others suck. That's why Princeton Review rates berkeley #9 in "dorms like dungeons."

By Sluggbugg (Sluggbugg) on Thursday, May 01, 2003 - 02:46 pm: Edit

Ditto on what lethalfang said. If you start to tank, remember that a lot of other people are probably going through the same funk as you are. They'll still bite you in the a**, so don't let your guard down too much.

Give yourself some time to play. Take a shuttle up the hill to the Lawrence Hall of Science and just hang out for a few hours. It's a good place to give your brain a rest. (Not the same as Lawrence Berkeley Lab. Whatever they're manufacturing up there, it's not warm & fuzzy!)

LHS is a fun, hands-on, science museum, with superb views of Berkeley, the Bay Area, and the Golden Gate Bridge. Expect lots of families and kiddos on the weekends. The student admission is pretty reasonable, around $5, I think. I worked in the biology lab teaching classes and taking care of the critters during my last 2 years at Cal.

Along Grizzly Peak Road, there are a couple of turnouts where you can watch the sunset over the Bay, or watch the fog roll in over the GG Bridge. You can see Alcatraz Island, Treasure Island, and the City skyline. It's a good way to recharge your engine.

My dd's favorite clothing place is the Buffalo Exchange. You can get CHEAP, hip clothes in great condition. I think it's down Telegraph Ave. Also on Telegraph, Cody's is the perennial favorite for new/used books, and Moe's is a big, grubby, 4-story building full of cool, used books. If you're looking for Shakespeare, Moe's is the place to go.

Cal football is a blast in the Fall, especially the Big Game against Stanford. There is zero parking around the stadium on game days. I highly recommend the Cal women's basketball games. It's just a really fun crowd, less crowded, and tickets are usually available. Hop on BART and take in an A's game every now & then. BART will drop you off right at the entrance to the Oakland Coliseum.

Great places to eat around Berkeley:
Juan's Mexican Food - Carlton & 9th
Vik's Indian Food - 5th & Addison
Spenger's - Casual, best fish place around - 4th & Euclid
Betty's Ocean View Diner - also on 4th, I think.
Chez Panisse - romantic, expensive, but worth it!

By Erin (Erin) on Thursday, May 01, 2003 - 06:36 pm: Edit

I noticed Sluggbugg mentioned Spenger's and it reminded me of a really random story. The other night my parents had friends over for dinner and they made two different kinds of fish. They were like "Gosh, I hope they like fish." Then they were talking to them at dinner and it turns out they own Spenger's. It was embarassing.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page