NYU vs. Tufts -- Help!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: May 2003 Archive: NYU vs. Tufts -- Help!
By Proteus (Proteus) on Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 03:36 pm: Edit

Hello, I have only a few days before I have to decide which college to attend and I could use some help. My two choices are NYU and Tufts. I love New York City, and feel that NYU is strong academically. Also, I've been admitted into NYU's scholar program (and honors program which includes a scholorship). However, after a visit to Tufts, I can't make up my mind. Tufts is smaller and may merit more personal attention. Tufts is said to be a place where students don't "fall through the cracks," or become a number whereas NYU is sometimes criticized in these areas. Tufts is beautiful and cozy, but it doesn't have the immediate excitement or resources of NYU (even though Tufts is near Boston, it's not quite the same).

I would appreciate anyone who could help. Is Tufts stronger academically? Is NYU lacking the in the personal attention that Tufts has? Or am I making a mountain out of a molehill? I was considering NYU as my primary choice for quite a while, but I'm finding the decision extremely difficult. I would greatly appreciate any input.

Thanks

By Proteus (Proteus) on Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 03:39 pm: Edit

I probably should add that I'm interested in studying english, literature, history, psychology, etc... the "liberal arts" field anyway. I hope that helps.

By Hash (Hash) on Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 03:55 pm: Edit

TUFTS !

By Proteus (Proteus) on Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 04:15 pm: Edit

Any reasons why?

By Thedad (Thedad) on Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 08:07 pm: Edit

Tufts here as well. English is one of the top departments at Tufts and the point about more attention is a good one.

We looked at NYU on our recent trip and were a little unnerved by how the info session stressed employment potential after graduation...not an academic focus at all. My take is that if you get a good education the job(s) will eventually take care of themselves.

Got to say...NYU was on daughter's list and she was so disappointed that she dropped it from further consideration.

By Jumbo (Jumbo) on Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 09:35 pm: Edit

Tufts. You get a better education for the $$ you're paying for. Tufts is also more prestigious.

By Hash (Hash) on Friday, April 25, 2003 - 02:41 am: Edit

Jus go TO TUFTS man !! jus go !

By Proteus (Proteus) on Saturday, April 26, 2003 - 11:22 am: Edit

Bump

By Bjturlington (Bjturlington) on Sunday, April 27, 2003 - 07:47 am: Edit

Tufts!

Smaller school, awesome English department, pretty campus, and close to everything but not too close. If you like NYC to hang-out in, then NYU would be a good bet...remember however, that NYU is in a student ghetto of sorts...so it depends on what you want. My bet is that the city won't matter as much once classes start. Besides, the charm of Broadway...the small street stores that sell knock-offs, and the cheap Asian markets will soon be common place. Tufts is better, because it's tucked away and people are friendly.

Hope this helps.
Rob.

By Pennquaker13 (Pennquaker13) on Sunday, April 27, 2003 - 02:06 pm: Edit

Let me just correct some of the things that people are saying here. First of all, Tufts is NOT a prestigious school in any sense of the word. I wouldn't go as far as to say that it's a respected school. They're a wannabe school, which is to say that they wannabe Ivy League and they wannabe like the other BETTER Boston schools (MIT, Harvard, Boston College, Boston University). In simpler terms, Tufts is a joke. Their whole middle of the road approach, not quite a university and not quite a small liberal arts college, is ridiculous ("YAY, we're the smallest research university...that makes us a good school, right?"). They just want to be everything at the same time, and this hurts the quality of the school. And let's face it, Tufts is just a fallback for kids who don't get into better schools. It was true 20 years ago, and it's still true today. If you don't think I know what I'm talking about, I've lived in Boston all my life not too far from Tufts, and this is just some of the stuff that people say about it. So if you don't want to be mocked for the rest of your life, go to NYU. All around a much better school.

By Jumbo (Jumbo) on Sunday, April 27, 2003 - 02:21 pm: Edit

lol. someone sounds bitter. his extreme views are as extreme as ours are..if you choose to believe him, that is your decision.

By Pennquaker13 (Pennquaker13) on Sunday, April 27, 2003 - 02:23 pm: Edit

HAHAHA I'm not bitter, I just hate absolutely everything about that school. If only you knew how much time I spent trying to stop two of my friends from going to there...

By Proteus (Proteus) on Sunday, April 27, 2003 - 04:47 pm: Edit

I would have to say that everyone is pretty polarized on this issue. I didn't expect so much drastic Tufts enthusiasm (or Tufts hatred). Is anyone more in the middle? Any other NYU advocates? I'm extremely attracted to NYU's urban location (plus honors program and scholarship), but I have heard some strong tufts supporters and it does seem to have a lot of personal attention. Any more/other opinions? Does anyone have any experience with NYU's scholar's program?

Finally, I want to enthusiastically thank every one for posting -- please continue!

Have a nice weekend!

By Troy (Troy) on Sunday, April 27, 2003 - 08:57 pm: Edit

Well, one of Tuft's academic missions is to provide a liberal arts education for its students. So if you want a liberal arts education, Tufts sounds like a good choice. I don't know if you're interested in IR, but Tufts has a top notch international realtions program as well as other multidisciplinary programs. NYU tends to stress a more 'real world' approach towards academics so your education may not have a very 'liberal arts' feel to it. In my opinion, NYU is more of a professional services type of school/'finance factory'.

I'd say pick Tufts and if you still want to live in an Urban location, move to NY after you graduate.

By Bjturlington (Bjturlington) on Sunday, April 27, 2003 - 10:22 pm: Edit

If you go by Prep School kids...

Tufts is better. It's in the ECAC with Hamilton, Bates, Colby, Bowdoin, Trinity, Wesleyan U., and Connecticut College. NYU is in a conference with Hopkins, Washington U., University of Rochester, CMU, and UChicago. That pretty much sums up the difference.

As for being a safety for the Ivies...so be it...most other schools are...including NYU. The assertion that Boston College and Boston University are better than Tufts...that is laughable. My friends from Deerfield, Andover, St. Alban's, Choate-Rosemary Hall, Lawrencville School, Harvard-West Lake, Punahou, Iolani, Taft, Exeter, North Harmon, etc...would all disagree, as would my college educated friends that went to college between 1990-2002.

Wash U., Northwestern, UChicago were not very selective in 1988-1994. Wash U. in fact had a 66% acceptance rate until it focused on spending, ED, increasing its tuition, etc...it was okay until the mid-1990s.

As for NYU...I must admit that I did look at it but it was too big for me. My friends that went there had a hard time with housing, getting the classes they wanted, and had problems with Financial Aid. Maybe those experiences were not representative. Some liked the location but most of them admitted that they seldom took advantage of the location. My Tufts friends love the size of the school and the personal attention and that is why I believe in Tufts. Studies have shown that smaller classes are better for high achievement. Likewise, unless you are an undergraduate major in business, or the arts, there is no reason to believe that NYU is better. NYU is not New York City, nor is Tufts Boston. You must look at what you want out of an eduaction first and then see how they match up. The best fit is the one that is most comfortable for you. Prestige is nice, but secondary to the fit. Both NYU and Tufts are good schools; My opinion (which is subjectve) is that for most people...Tufts is better because of the interaction of students and faculty. But, again just my $.02.

Rob.

By Bjturlington (Bjturlington) on Sunday, April 27, 2003 - 10:32 pm: Edit

For the record...

I have family in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, and Maine...and they all agree that Tufts is better in general than NYU. Again, what is important is the fit...not the prestige factor. You have a better shot at academic research and one-on-one interaction at Tufts than at NYU. If you major in Business and/or the Arts, NYU is better because of the internship opportunities. And...universities like NYU are more career orineted than Tufts which is more libral arts oriented. In fact, Tufts used to be in the National Liberal Arts College Rankings until the early to mid-90s. If you plan on just getting a BA in business, NYU is better; If you think you mght go to grad school Tufts is your better bet.

Rob.

By Hash (Hash) on Monday, April 28, 2003 - 05:25 am: Edit

Dude !

One of my friends graduated from Tufts and was in the class of 2000. He was also accepted iin NYU but chose to go to TUFTS.

NYU has no campus life , NYC is the campus, its sounds great but it is NOT great.

Tufts on the other hand is very liberal , small classes , great profs , close knit interaction and people are friendly , laid back and a healthy atmosphere prevails with one of the greatest libraries and great entrances to Grad School.

Go to NYU , if you wanted Business and if you are more career oriented but if you really want a good college education and a good college life , Tufts is the place. You will have friends in both places , but i would say Tufts would be better.

NYU 's Stern is very very prestigious and as a school it is for richie rich , people say that and gosh who would like to go spend so much and not have a campus life ? Why pay so many $$$$???
Tufts has a beautiful campus with a great student body and much more liberal atmosphere.

After all this , choosing a college is a personal decision , think about everything.

Small Classes , Location , Climate , Liberal Atmosphere , Career Opportunities , Liberal Education / Business education , Grad School , Profs - Students relation .

and then choose to go to "the place"

Personally go to Tufts !

Nyu is also good enough but then go to Tufts. LOL ;)

hope it helps.

Hash

By Brownie_07 (Brownie_07) on Monday, April 28, 2003 - 10:56 am: Edit

What's the matter, pennquaker? didn't get into any better ivies? penn ain't all that much better than tufts, at least not for undergraduate edu.

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Monday, April 28, 2003 - 12:28 pm: Edit

To Pennquaker...your assertion that Tufts is a fallback school to kids who do not get into Ivies and was that way even 20 years ago is absurd in my view. Maybe that is the way for some people, that could be true, but not the majority. I went to Tufts in the late 70s and I applied early decision as it was my first choice school. It was never a fallback for me. My husband also went to Tufts and got in ED as it was his first choice school. My own junior daughter is going to apply to Tufts, as well as some Ivies but does not see the Ivies as a better choice. It is about finding the school that fits her, not prestige. I interview applicants for Tufts as well and I can tell you that it is VERY difficult to get in there and none of the applicants I interviewed these past two years got admitted and they were top notch students. It clearly is not necessarily a real lot easier to get into than an Ivy. In fact, one valedictorian I interviewed last year, did not get into Tufts but did get into an Ivy and is going there. So much for your theory.

To the original poster, I think, as others have posted to you wisely, that you need to pick the school that feels right for you, rather than the prestige factor. Both schools you are considering are well regarded challenging institutions but clearly quite different. You need to think if you prefer the size and setting of one over the other cause on that one thing alone, they are vastly different. NYU has no campus and is huge. One thing I loved about Tufts is that you have that whole nice New England campus feel but Boston is at your doorstep and is a very fun city to be in for your college years. I have no idea your intended major but you would want to consider how the programs compare at each university. It is so much a personal fit. Talk to students at each school a lot about the stuff that matters to YOU> We can't really answer that for you. I loved Tufts. As I said, I have a daughter who has visited and wants to apply. On the other hand, I have a younger daughter who is just a freshman in high school who is intent on going to NYUs Tisch for college. We were just walking around that school last week....and it is very different from Tufts. So, this is a good example how in one family, one child would prefer NYU and one would prefer Tufts and as a parent, I can see why each school would fit that particular child. So, in your case, both schools are very high end choices and find the right fit for you. Congrats on your achievements. I know how hard it is to get into Tufts anyway, and you did! If I can help you answer anything about Tufts, I could try. I did love going there!
Susan

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Monday, April 28, 2003 - 12:30 pm: Edit

Oops, sorry, I just reread the whole thread and I see you did post your academic interest. At first, when I posted, I was just reading the most recent replies, sorry.

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 06:46 pm: Edit

As you are thinking about English, Tufts would be the place for you. Then again, as a senior, I'm a bit biased. Regardless, with a major like English, you probably won't want more of a career oriented atmosphere and larger classes. Tufts limits English classes to 16 students, even in the intro writing courses. Feel free to email me with any questions you may have, and I'll get back to you quickly. :)

Regarding Pennquaker's response: it is completely out of line with everything known about the school. As a Massachusetts native, I can tell you that it is highly respected. The academics are quite challenging (be prepared to work if you come here), the faculty is awesome, and most of my friends here got into their top choice grad schools. There is absolutely no reason nor rational behind that response, saying that a world-renowed institution is a joke. For those more interested in science and research, the opportunities here are amazing; being the smallest research university is phenomenal for us. Most engineers do research with their professors.

Please acknowledge the bias in these responses; thedad would be the least biased, while Susan and I, being an alum and soon-to-be alum, loved Tufts and are biased for it. Likewise, pennquaker is biased against it, but is incapable of being objective.

Congratulations on your admittance: only 22% of applicants were accepted, average SAT score in the mid to high 1400s, average class rank in the top 7%. :)

By Leia (Leia) on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 11:39 pm: Edit

I'll be one of the few NYU advocates, but keep in mind it's been my first choice school for a very long time, and i'll be going there in the fall. There are so many things that attract me to NYU, i' m not quite sure where to start.... but, well, after sitting in on a couple classes, i was completely convinced. The students and profs were not only insightful, open-minded, hilarious, and quite brilliant, but they let me debate Henry IV with them. Who knew? I just really feel like i fit in there. Plus, well, again, this is from a born-New Yorker, but i don't think anything beats the City, and Washington Square Park and Greenwich Village are especially exciting(note, i didn't grow up in the City, so i'm not completely biased {sg}). With SoHo not far, and Union Square a mere eight blocks or so up Broadway...it's very active. Lots of clubs, lots of opportunities, but, of course, lots of *people*, and thus, not a "personal" atmosphere. However, just as in any large school/club/group, you find your niche, and you're set.

On visiting the actual "campus," i saw lots of people sitting in the Park by themselves doing school work, which is another aspect i liked. Loners can fit in there, and since i'm not the most outgoing, bubbly person...i'll enjoy that good old "alone in a crowd of people" irony so characteristic of the City.

The Bobst Library is absolutely..gorgeous. I wish i could live there. 'Nuff said.

Anyway, it completely comes down to the type of campus experience you want. Tufts and NYU are basically polar opposites from what I understand. NYU is very *alive*(not that Tufts isn't) with a million different things going on ... and the streets of the Village are literally your campus. It's quite unique, but definitely not for everyone (esp. those who dream of a fenced in, Eden-esque campus...if that's the case...NYU is not for you [er..no rhyme..intended..]). I know it's for me because i truly do love the idea of sort of...constructing my own campus from what NYC has to offer. Plus, it's where i plan to live after graduating. Good luck in your decision! (and whew, some of you guys really hate/love Tufts/NYU...i'm not feeling the love :-)

Oh, and, Washington Square Park is in When Harry Met Sally. :-)

*goes back to her Calculus with a groan*

By Dani2914 (Dani2914) on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 08:25 pm: Edit

Hey -
I don't know if this is too late as teh decision date was 1st of May but GO TO TUFTS! I agree w/ all the above-statements: NYU is too big, you'd get 'lost' and it seems that you're more interested in a well-rounded liberal arts education. Tufts is an excellent school--I got in this year too and am going! I was accepted EA by Georgetown but then decided to apply ED II to Tufts just b/c I realized how much more it had to offer to me. People at my school with less extracurriculars, lower grades are going to UPenn, Yale, Cornell, & other such schools so I definitely don't consider Tufts my fall-back school b/c I couldn't get into an Ivy League. Tufts was the best fit for me (I want to major in Intl. Rel.), I loved the campus, the impressive amount of international students (I'm from Brazil), etc.
Let me know where you decide to go! (E-mail me) Who knows, we might be spending the next 4 years together!
Good luck w/ your decision--only you know best in the end!

By Leia (Leia) on Friday, May 02, 2003 - 11:45 pm: Edit

What'd you decide?

By Proteus (Proteus) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 10:29 am: Edit

Hello Everyone, I'm sorry I didn't post earlier.

I would like to very sincerely thank everyone for taking the time to post. After my visit to Tufts, I freaked because I had no way to make a decision. Any information was a great help.

I think I would agree with many of you that Tufts holds the consensus as the "better" school, especially because of its personal attention. But in the end, I chose NYU, here's why:

I absolutely loved the academics of Tufts, but a step back allowed me to think clearly. Though Tufts may be higher ranked and more esteemed, I realized that both Universities provide excellent education. I wasn't going to get "screwed" if I went to NYU, which is a very different place. I realized after talking to many people, that I had to go with my instinct: after all, I will be living and working at one of these institutions for the next four years. And though I really liked Tufts, I just had trouble envisioning myself there, whereas at NYU, it just seemed right.

I said before my major may be something towards the side of the English spectrum, but I probably should've clarified. I hope to be a writer, and I am hoping to get from college the type of peripheral learning that comes from taking various classes AND living and observing in a new place. It just felt right to go to NYU and get the bonus of Greenwich village and all it offers.

But no matter how many positive reasons for NYU or Tufts and so on, I would have to say that my decision was a "gut" reaction. I just couldn't feel right about Tufts while NYU just seemed right for me. I guess sometimes you can hear a whole spectrum of arguments, but it just comes down to instinct.

Thanks again so much everyone, I am in debt to you. And Leia, thanks for being the brave one to argue NYU! Maybe I'll see you in the fall. Anyway, I'm sorry for the long post. Thanks again so much.

By Leia (Leia) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 12:42 pm: Edit

That was a tough decision there! And i'm inclined to agree with you, there are some colleges that just "feel right" when you visit them, make you feel as if you belong there. NYU did that for me. People may think this is strange since NYU is criticized for its lack of community. But i found it to be just the opposite. Everyone knows where Moumon's is. The falafel place on McDougal. Ask anyone who looks under senior-citizen age and they can tell you where to find the best burgers in town for cheap (Johnny Rockets) and the place to go if you want two slices and a soda for 3 bucks. I remember last year a friend told me he was just walking around the Park and Bill Clinton was on a podium giving a speech. Some of your college professors will actually walk out with you on anti-war protest days. Everybody has different opinions, different life styles, different lives. And i like that. It's life. Plus being fenced in just doesn't suit me, but again, it's not for everyone.

Sorry to ramble on. I really love the college, even if they do try their very hardest to zap you of your savings. Anyway, cool! Maybe i'll see you in September. Did you go to University Day on April 13th?

(and did you see that new Student Center? I haven't been inside yet but it looks incredible..)

By Bjturlington (Bjturlington) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 05:15 pm: Edit

Good Luck...Have a blast! :)

Rob

By Fonzie (Fonzie) on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 10:48 pm: Edit

Anyone know if you can apply to Tufts ED I and II? (as in if you don't get in I, you try again for II)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page